Chord Huei Phono

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Wow I paid usd$1,495 no less plus shipping. Singapore buy way cheaper ??

Interest to do a side by side compare with my Rega ? I also have a black cube Se can do a budget phono stage paw wow... ;D

I can bring to your place no problem  ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Alamak kana sai!  Naymind I still like the Huei coz I only hear slight hiss when I put my ear very close to the speakers.  Listening position cannot hear noise.  LoL ?‍?

Quote:

Conclusions
It is hard to imagine a phono stage being broken in so many aspects then the Chord Huei. Almost unusable interface. Huge amount of noise and fair bit of distortion. RIAA equalization that is not accurate, nor spec compliant. And Rumble filter that does nothing. The only thing it has going for it is that it is pretty!

Can't imagine a company like Chord producing something like this (other than the UI). They are known for needlessly overengineered DACs but otherwise performance is excellent. Not so here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-huei-phono-preamp-review.17355/

2 hours ago, char siew pau said:

Alamak kana sai!  Naymind I still like the Huei coz I only hear slight hiss when I put my ear very close to the speakers.  Listening position cannot hear noise.  LoL ?‍?

Quote:

Conclusions
It is hard to imagine a phono stage being broken in so many aspects then the Chord Huei. Almost unusable interface. Huge amount of noise and fair bit of distortion. RIAA equalization that is not accurate, nor spec compliant. And Rumble filter that does nothing. The only thing it has going for it is that it is pretty!

Can't imagine a company like Chord producing something like this (other than the UI). They are known for needlessly overengineered DACs but otherwise performance is excellent. Not so here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-huei-phono-preamp-review.17355/

The only light I prefer to see from my phono is tube glow and I do not mind scouring the world for low noise vacuum tube to keep the noise down.?

3 hours ago, malsound said:

The only light I prefer to see from my phono is tube glow and I do not mind scouring the world for low noise vacuum tube to keep the noise down.?

Bro, very tempting to get this Hagerman Trumpet MC, then I can also see more light and tube glow ah. But don’t know if Hagerman noisy or not ?

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/trumpet-mc-vacuum-tube-phonostage

On 4/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, char siew pau said:

Bro, very tempting to get this Hagerman Trumpet MC, then I can also see more light and tube glow ah. But don’t know if Hagerman noisy or not ?

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/trumpet-mc-vacuum-tube-phonostage

If you feel hand itchy can try this mic kit. Can every add tube rectifier board and tube roll nos tube till your cow come home.?

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=1716

Hmm!  Unloaded at 47K ohms for MC cart.  My Chord Huei using Ortofon Cadenza Bronze can only go up to 3700 ohms, but I prefer loading @ 1000 ohms, 60db gain which sounds lively and open to me!  Too bad the Chord Huei at 47K, MM mode gain is only 42db max which is too low.  Maybe I'll try this Trumpet MC ,47K can have higher gain. ?

Anyone tried loading at 47K and feel it is the best for their MC cart?

Quote:

The instructions say “Best operation is to run LOADING as high as possible (clockwise) and GAIN as low as possible (counter-clockwise). MM cartridges will only function properly with LOADING set to 47kHz and gain at 44dB”. There’s a no 44dB setting so Mr. Hagerman means 45dB, or all the way to the left. 47kHz is with the loading knob fully clockwise.

The MC setting instructions are somewhat unusual. Is Mr. Hagerman suggesting running a low output moving coil cartridge loaded at 47kHz? Seems so but that’s clearly not correct so how can that be “best operation”? Hopefully he’ll answer in a comment. Setting gain as low as possible makes sense if you understand what exactly that means. Do you really want to run a .33mV Ortofon Cadenza Black, for instance, at 45dB gain, which is MM gain? I started there, dutifully following instructions but figured I’d try 55dB...

In the end Mr. Hagerman proved subjectively correct if objectively not. For whatever reason, 45dB was more than sufficient for the .33mV Cadenza and I was able to run my preamp at -19dB. This made little sense to me but again looking at the output of 22v(@1% distortion) it suddenly did!

Again Mr. Hagerman proved correct: I left the Trumpet MC at 47kHz because anything lower was too soft for my tastes.

Guest francishuang
7 hours ago, char siew pau said:

Hmm!  Unloaded at 47K ohms for MC cart.  My Chord Huei using Ortofon Cadenza Bronze can only go up to 3700 ohms, but I prefer loading @ 1000 ohms, 60db gain which sounds lively and open to me!  Too bad the Chord Huei at 47K, MM mode gain is only 42db max which is too low.  Maybe I'll try this Trumpet MC ,47K can have higher gain. ?

Quote:

The instructions say “Best operation is to run LOADING as high as possible (clockwise) and GAIN as low as possible (counter-clockwise). MM cartridges will only function properly with LOADING set to 47kHz and gain at 44dB”. There’s a no 44dB setting so Mr. Hagerman means 45dB, or all the way to the left. 47kHz is with the loading knob fully clockwise.

The MC setting instructions are somewhat unusual. Is Mr. Hagerman suggesting running a low output moving coil cartridge loaded at 47kHz? Seems so but that’s clearly not correct so how can that be “best operation”? Hopefully he’ll answer in a comment. Setting gain as low as possible makes sense if you understand what exactly that means. Do you really want to run a .33mV Ortofon Cadenza Black, for instance, at 45dB gain, which is MM gain? I started there, dutifully following instructions but figured I’d try 55dB...

In the end Mr. Hagerman proved subjectively correct if objectively not. For whatever reason, 45dB was more than sufficient for the .33mV Cadenza and I was able to run my preamp at -19dB. This made little sense to me but again looking at the output of 22v(@1% distortion) it suddenly did!

Again Mr. Hagerman proved correct: I left the Trumpet MC at 47kHz because anything lower was too soft for my tastes.

7 hours ago, char siew pau said:

Quote:

For candeza bronze, the range of loading u may wana set it at is ard 50 to 200ish.  You may wana look look at your other tt settings if u need to run it as high as 1000ohm. 

Edited by francishuang

Guest francishuang
37 minutes ago, char siew pau said:

Bro, can elaborate on what you mean by other TT settings? Thanks.

Vta

Tracking force

Boss

There's no wrong to using 1000ohm. Its to personal liking. But its quite far off from the usually 100ohms setting.  Its your call boss, whether to investigate further. 

Guest francishuang
30 minutes ago, char siew pau said:

Ok thank you Boss I think I got that covered, vta, tracking force, low capacitance cables.... just wondering coz Atma-Sphere tube amp Boss recommend unload at 47k ohm for mc ? curious to hear what others do for good results. 

47k ohm.. Well.. Haha.. Can't know anything abt it until we try it and such. 

Maybe it's 47k ohm 'sound' like 500ohm in other phono. Well... If go by textbook.. Its strange la...but as long 1 is happy. Can liao