Demo, share and fellowship at my place

I've begun a new thread to invite friends and members over for a sharing, kopi and fellowship session/s.

I'm not a pro, and there are certainly plenty of people who are much better at the art of HT and audio, which is why it's called a sharing session and not a tutorial or something..

Will post timings etc here..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten a few requests for this and I've been considering very hard..

I used to do this a lot more often in the past, and I made many friends and tried to share as much as I could but a very negative experience a few years ago put me off this and I stopped for a while. But at the behest of friends and bros here, I've done some sharing and with my new den almost ready, the requests have been coming so I figured I'll try again even if it means some may be adverse experiences...

So here goes... 

For those who are keen, please pm me and post your interest in this forum and this thread.

Some suggestions:

- do your homework and know some basics about HT and audio. The stickies here offer some basic info.

- if you are doing up a place, know what you want first:

a- budget

b- room size and layout (bring a map, photos etc)

c- know your expectations eg if you have a small room you may not want 7 base speakers and 4 Atmos

d- know your timeframe - renovations take time and you need to let your contractor know when to cater for certain things eg rockwool in your ceiling for example

e- know about WAF - if your wife doesn't want big speakers, or surround speakers at ear level and cables which are visible, then be realistic

f- know about speaker placement - Audyssey can't generate magic if your speakers are in funny positions, or if you have gigantic speakers in tiny rooms

When coming:

- bring your favo CDs, BR discs and some scenes you are familar with for demo

- bring your wife if you wish but let me know

- please confirm your date / timing and be punctual, because sometimes I take time off to do it, and I ask my family to go out so you can play the music louder

First session:

Saturday 18/5

Timing mid afternoon (exact time TBC cos I'm working that day)

Send me a pm with your contact and I'll let you know the address and timing.

Please sms me 20 / 30 min before you come so I can know if you can't make it.

Cheers

Great effort there Pete, it’s always nice to see someone sharing their experiences with our local community

Congrats on your newly completed set up !

Must have been one Helluva journey....

Hi Pete. Is this at your new place. I will probably be in Singapore in Sep. Maybe can catch up with you at your new place and listen to your set up. Last time I did that was at your place in YCK.

Hi Pete. Is this at your new place. I will probably be in Singapore in Sep. Maybe can catch up with you at your new place and listen to your set up. Last time I did that was at your place in YCK.

Give me a buzz when you’re in town bro. Bring home a 4K player ha! And some of those pies ?

Good effort there Pete :)

I truly commiserate with you sir ..

I’ve had mostly experiences but a couple have really shook me badly. But hey the good experiences definitely outweigh the bad. And the forum has given me much so it’s good to give back

My advice to Pete and other members (playing hosts) who willingly open up their place for demo sessions to put aside ego and “I-am-always-right” attitude...Be open and receptive to constructive feedback from others (guests) even though it may not be always what you want to hear. I firmly believed that no one member is out there to stir up some storm to spite someone...same applies to guests, be thankful and respectful to the host who sacrifice his time and space to welcome you into his house and listen to the setup. You may not agree with some of the host’s comments or the choices he made to his setup. Just listen objectively as I’m sure he has a reason to it. Whenever possible, guest should be encouraged to give their frank opinions and perhaps even suggest some solution or workaround if encounter similar issue(s). That’s exchanging of ideas and communication should be two-way instead of unilateral. EQ plays an important role here. Sometimes we are too eager to interrupt to hear the reasoning of members when they gave their frank opinion (especially negative ones).

I never consider myself as a Pro but rather as an enthusiast, hence I am seldom offended by members remarks on my setup. When Cash passed some snide remarks on the Audyssey Workshop I run where I tried to pass down my knowledge of what I’ve learnt over the years to members (mostly newbies), I admit that I am discouraged at first but if we can see past that (reflect upon it) and deep down knowing the time and amount of effort I have expended to help even just 1% of those group of members to understand how to do a proper calibration, I think I have achieved my goal here.

Bear that in mind, with the right mindset and attitude, I’m sure everyone will have a great time ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

although i come here only on and off, i was really thankful when i just started getting into HT, some friendly dudes are kind enough to offer me visit their place to understand more about HT. this really helps me learn quickly, as some of this stuff are so hard to understand, like dual sub better than single sub but how to really understand by imagining.

Thanks for the feedback

Please don’t get me and I may say most other bros who open their homes..

I / we value feedback. In fact it helps us improve. So if someone was willing to tell me what’s wrong and how I can improve, it’s great!

However I think the issues was personal criticism and negative feedback that doesn’t centre on the HT.

Nevertheless I will readily it’s been mostly pleasant.

That’s why I’m doing this again. I must also add, I’m not a commercial person and this is purely a hobby sharing.

I also note the various requests and the additional non PH timings

For those I’ll get back to you as I have to ask my CO first

It’s my den but my time is now not only my own  :-[

I look forward to seeing new faces as well as meeting old friends.

For new members please just say a few words about yourself and leave your contact.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback

Please don’t get me and I may say most other bros who open their homes..

I / we value feedback. In fact it helps us improve. So if someone was willing to tell me what’s wrong and how I can improve, it’s great!

However I think the issues was personal criticism and negative feedback that doesn’t centre on the HT.

Nevertheless I will readily it’s been mostly pleasant.

That’s why I’m doing this again. I must also add, I’m not a commercial person and this is purely a hobby sharing.

Pete, just ignore those personal attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got Tuesday evening free if anyone is keen..

Short notice...

Bro, its harder for most of us to drop by after work in the evening...preferably over the weekend will be the best (if possible) imo.

Was at Pete place last night, it was a very nice house. Pete as usual is a great host.

Overall the renovation is well thought out and the sound very much tune to Pete liking (which rightly so). Overall I think the soundstage, imaging & surround panning are definitely there and I find that the sound is not localize at all.

Bros

You guys are too kind as usual :)

I enjoy a good surround experience and I listen at much lower levels than most bros

So bass is definitely not my strong point. Disappointed looks I’ll see ha ha

But you guys are very polite.

However I do have plenty to share on building a home.

And I’m always up for a catch up and a cup of tea..

These days I need to ask permission from the boss about opening hours

But here and there I do have an hour or two. Cheers

So if you are keen just pm and it’s a simple fellowship over sound and coffee