My tiny Atmos setup (Onkyo, Polk Audio, SVS, Sunfire)

So, I recently moved to a new home. My living room is shared with dining area. Discounting the dining area, I have about WxH 2.5m x 2.7m to play with. That is really a small area for a full Atmos setup. And I can't find any way to place my surround speakers at ear level without looking out of place. And I opted to go with "reflected" Atmos instead of direct. So, I made my own Atmos "enabled" speaker using Orb Audios speakers.

htarea.jpg

Here's what I ended up with. Listening position to the front is 2.5m distance.

Hall.jpg

Using Polk Audio TL2 connected with a bracket to Orb Audio speakers which function as the Atmos speakers.

Fronts.jpg

Orb Audio surrounded with foam to "focus" sound upwards.

Dolby.jpg

Here's my equipment.

Onkyo TX-RZ830 AV Receiver

Polk Audio TL2 speakers + centre

Orb Audio Mod1

Starke SW12 subwoofer

SVSynthesis subwoofer

AmazonBasics 14 AWG OFC speaker wires

AmazonBasics Subwoofer cables

Monoprice HDMI cable

Although the area is small, the result is pretty good and have very nice, enveloping surround sound. I have been listening to demo tracks and I am satisfied with the sound.

I upgraded the original Polk Audio 8" sub to a Starke SW12. The 8" sub was actually not bad, but struggled when pushed harder. It started to distort at higher volumes and lower frequencies.

Now the SW12 together with the SVSynthesis (SVS sub built by Synthesis) - it's sounding pretty good.

Will still need to run in the SW12, probably in use less than 3 hours so far. Only have time on weekends to play with them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the setup is very OK wor!

pity that ur space is tad bit tight that cannot accomodate full sized fronts with 3 centers to take better sonic impact。

do take note that the sattelites of the Polk package may tend to loosen over sometime of usage。。。so U might wanna consider adding some kind of backups should one fails in later days。

the setup is very OK wor!

pity that ur space is tad bit tight that cannot accomodate full sized fronts with 3 centers to take better sonic impact。

do take note that the sattelites of the Polk package may tend to loosen over sometime of usage。。。so U might wanna consider adding some kind of backups should one fails in later days。

Yeah, size is small but luckily still usable for HT. My old place I had full size floorstanders, centers. Had to let them go for tiny little speakers.

"Polks tend to loosen" - what do you mean? The drivers break?

• 8 months later...

Upgraded to huge floorstanders.. Polk S60! Sound is so good. The bass/low frequencies on these babies are pretty incredible. Can even play movies with more than acceptable bass without my subwoofers.  :D

Lucky I managed to put in huge floorstanders in such a small place, although not optimal, but I'll live with this for a while... hehehe.

polk01.jpg

polk02.jpg

Nice setup. If there is space, you may wanna try to toe-in the LR a little for better imaging.

Managed to toe-in just a little bit. Really not much space to play with. But so far, very good. So happy with these speakers. :D

Yeah long time.... Happy CNY!!

I had to compromise using small speakers due to space constraints. When chance available to pick up these Polk flooorstanders, didn't care about the space anymore. 

Size really matters!

Upgraded to huge floorstanders.. Polk S60! Sound is so good. The bass/low frequencies on these babies are pretty incredible. Can even play movies with more than acceptable bass without my subwoofers.  :D

Lucky I managed to put in huge floorstanders in such a small place, although not optimal, but I'll live with this for a while... hehehe.

polk01.jpg

NICE! Welcome to polk audio club!

polk02.jpg

Although it looks kinda ...odd. Big fronts with center spkr driver sized roughly a 1/3rd of the left n right biggies... It makes the center looks like a tweety bird stuck in between Tom and Sylvester.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Congrats on your new center.

Any reason for getting the S30 and not the S35?

Was checking reviews. Majority said S30 beats S35 in terms of sound quality.

S35 wins in terms of slim looks.

S30 is cheaper, better sound quality (based on reviews/comments).

• 6 months later...

Moved house recently. Now my setup looks like this. 

AVR: Denon AVR-X3600H

Fronts: Polk S60
Center: Polk S30
Sub 1: SVS 12" Driver (Synthesis built box)
Sub 2: Sunfire True Subwoofer Super Junior

ht20201127.thumb.png.1fe5b06790ff84c8b0a4a0e37ea314c4.png

Projector: Epson EH-TW5200
Rear surround and top rear:  Polk TL2
spacer.png

Top front: Silver Ticket 82C (8") in-ceiling speakers
spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, desray said:

@dbchoong - I thought you moved to Yishun not long ago...moving again?! Wow...to where now?

Shifted back to Bishan. LOL! My family still prefers it here. And Thomson MRT line will be opening in a couple of months. Station just downstairs. Very convenient.

• 2 weeks later...