Anthem AV Owners Thread

58 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Would it be safe to run a couple of USB fans out the USB on the back of the MRX-740 ? No space above the AVR but open sides, so was thinking of running couple of fans to move air through the unit eg: these https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-usb-fans/multifan-s7-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-dual-120mm/

Yes, the external fans will help a little, but if the unit builds up heat, the internal fans could get noisy.  And if the heat becomes too high, the unit will shutdown.  Suggest you closely monitor the unit and if it gets too hot, best to find another location,

Note that heat will reduce the long term reliability of any AVR...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

There is no other option besides sitting things just about on the floor, anything else will mean a change in custom furnishings which we will be doing at a much later point. I'll most certainly monitor how warm it gets and put a probe on it, the MRX-740 is only going to be driving 4 ceiling atmos speakers.

I have already bought the fans and am going to use them right against the side vents forcing fresh cool air directly into the units side vents (the HT gear sits directly under the rooms A/C as well), that side is open to the room and air has no restriction. I was more just wondering if it would be safe powering the fans via the USB/service port on the back of the AVR. No matter, I'll just power them via a wall wart or something. If it does get too warm I'll just have to figure something else out that wont upset the Mrs but I think these would keep the unit cool.

Should be cooler than just in open air I would think with the 2 x 120mm fans blowing fresh air directly into the side vent but I can test/monitor it either way. We are planning on building new cabinetry in 6 moths or so that will be more suited and I'll still keep the fans set-up in some way just for the AVR to keep it cooled, will add a thermal monitor/switch so fans always work when it gets warm enough. Think that fan set has a add-on option for a thermal probe/switch etc which will make life easy.

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

I was more just wondering if it would be safe powering the fans via the USB/service port on the back of the AVR.

No idea!  I am guessing it would not be usable???

49 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

There is no other option besides sitting things just about on the floor, anything else will mean a change in custom furnishings which we will be doing at a much later point. I'll most certainly monitor how warm it gets and put a probe on it, the MRX-740 is only going to be driving 4 ceiling atmos speakers.

If it is only for the 4 ceiling speakers, it is not likely to get warm.  You may want to experiment with assigning different amplifiers?

---

I think you have things at hand regarding things to look out for etc...  Happy listening!

• Like 1

Even with updating disabled, another firmware update pushed to my AVM70 today.  Really Anthem???  Release notes are not made available either (that I'm aware of) which is even more frustrating.  Might be time to block your internet access. Not happy.

image.thumb.png.26a4b12ff7dcbedf9c9767b4d30169ca.png

image.thumb.png.419ce85c868027f08960f76a20f9f686.png

55 minutes ago, xPLAYRZx said:

Even with updating disabled, another firmware update pushed to my AVM70 today.  Really Anthem???  Release notes are not made available either (that I'm aware of) which is even more frustrating.  Might be time to block your internet access. Not happy.

yeah sadly i saw that too with, a few folk around the world reporting eg below from deewan in the us on avsowners so you are not alone ... 

[QUOTE="deewan, post: 60825687, member: 7553582"]

I'll communicate this with the Anthem Rep tomorrow, but anyone else find that yet again their AVM-70 updated automatically again even with auto updates turned off?  I went downstairs to the theater room for the first time in a week to find my AVM-70 stuck on the "MCU Flash" screen again.  I'm guessing my system turned itself on and then got stuck during the FW update and never turned itself back off. I'm guessing my system was turned on for 3-4 days without me knowing.

I've tried to give Anthem some wiggle room, but this is getting to be stupid.  I can't prevent beta or official FW releases from auto updating on my processor and with each FW update it gets stuck on the "MCU Flash" screen causing me to unplug all network and hdmi connections, then disconnect from power just to get the processor back form a bricked state.

[/QUOTE]

Edited by betty boop

Completed the upgrade of my setup that was using a Primare SP32 and separate amps with a Anthem MRX 1140 in a 7.1.4 configuration.

I had hesitated between the AVM-70 and the MRX-1140 but I got the latter for a great price ($4900) and I thought I could save on the need for another quad amp).

Originally I had planned to use just the MRX 1140, but in the end I kept the Primare A30.5 amp for the front+centre+surround.

I'm very happy with the sound, to my hear it sounds the same for stereo than my previous system.

I'm a bit disappointed with how limited the amp channel assignment is. The first 5 channels are using A/B amp , the remaining class D limited to 60W.

But there's no way to assign the now unused A/B amp for anything but Zone 2, Front Wide, Height 3.

The unit fan noise is sometimes audible, even over my projector, which is a bit annoying. It's not even a constant pattern.

ARC was pretty easy to use and setup. I wish the documentation was less scattered around, in particular on where to place the microphone and make you have to go on their site: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/users-guide.php#microphone-positioning

The 1140 upgraded as soon as I first plugged it with an ethernet port: 1.100.116 ; Apr 30 2021 14:27:29 .

I haven't seen it do a self-update.

I see that there's a 1.102.125 available right now.

Overall pretty happy, I've played some samples I found from Dolby with some TrueHD Atmos tracks. Mind blowing, particularly the "Unfold" one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jya said:

the remaining class D limited to 60W.

This pretty much killed this AVR off for further consideration for me. Ended continuing down the dedicated AV pre/power combination path instead.

JDH

2 hours ago, jdh500 said:

This pretty much killed this AVR off for further consideration for me. Ended continuing down the dedicated AV pre/power combination path instead.

Anthem have been using Class D amps for the "non main" (sorry, can't find another word) speakers since the "20" series, 6 years ago.  It does make sense on a number of fronts.  Class D are more efficient, less heat and used to drive speakers without heavy loads.

I was skeptical when the MRX 1120 first came out, but I have heard it in a large home theatre that I helped set up.  The class D amps do a very good job.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I was skeptical when the MRX 1120 first came out, but I have heard it in a large home theatre that I helped set up.  The class D amps do a very good job.

Ended up using 2 x Elektra Audio 7ch HD2 power amps at 190W per channel in the end :)

JDH

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Anthem have been using Class D amps for the "non main" (sorry, can't find another word) speakers since the "20" series, 6 years ago.  It does make sense on a number of fronts.  Class D are more efficient, less heat and used to drive speakers without heavy loads.

I have to say that it's likely for the rear and height channels it's more than needed. Not that I can individually tells those speakers apart.

While I "liked" the sound more when using the Primare amp, it very well be that it's because it's the sound I'm used to.

The MRX1140 did an excellent job powering all eleven channels, certainly at volume high enough to make for an unpleasant experience.

Edited by jya
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yes ;  Quite clever using class D when you have a certain size power supply and chassis size ; so many other brands need an extra 2ch power amp when using class A/B  only . 

And although 60w doesnt sound a lot its worth remembering that w/ch is a logarithmic scale so not too shabby ' and maybe a conservative spec ; too many quote @ 1khz  - not 20hz- 20khz :)

Its not the poor cousin anymore ; a quick look at a storm audio PA 8 class D shows it mainstreaming B)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cwt said:

Quite clever using class D when you have a certain size power supply and chassis size ; so many other brands need an extra 2ch power amp when using class A/B  only . 

And although 60w doesnt sound a lot

Yes, fitting 11 channels of class A/B amplification in an AVR would be tricky. Most of my Home Theatre power amps are class A/B however I’ve used Bel Canto Class D power amps for 2ch ie. Class D  @ 250W its still no larger than a shoebox !!! The Bel canto uses a pretty good filtering circuit in front of the class D amp that is almost the same size, this level of filtering is missing from any of the AVR class D’s as far as I can tell.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jya said:

Completed the upgrade of my setup that was using a Primare SP32 and separate amps with a Anthem MRX 1140 in a 7.1.4 configuration.

I had hesitated between the AVM-70 and the MRX-1140 but I got the latter for a great price ($4900) and I thought I could save on the need for another quad amp).

Originally I had planned to use just the MRX 1140, but in the end I kept the Primare A30.5 amp for the front+centre+surround.

I'm very happy with the sound, to my hear it sounds the same for stereo than my previous system.

I'm a bit disappointed with how limited the amp channel assignment is. The first 5 channels are using A/B amp , the remaining class D limited to 60W.

But there's no way to assign the now unused A/B amp for anything but Zone 2, Front Wide, Height 3.

The unit fan noise is sometimes audible, even over my projector, which is a bit annoying. It's not even a constant pattern.

ARC was pretty easy to use and setup. I wish the documentation was less scattered around, in particular on where to place the microphone and make you have to go on their site: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/users-guide.php#microphone-positioning

The 1140 upgraded as soon as I first plugged it with an ethernet port: 1.100.116 ; Apr 30 2021 14:27:29 .

I haven't seen it do a self-update.

I see that there's a 1.102.125 available right now.

Overall pretty happy, I've played some samples I found from Dolby with some TrueHD Atmos tracks. Mind blowing, particularly the "Unfold" one.

Where did you get the 1140 for $4900? Was it a pre order? I just got an email from my dealer that my preorder is finally available. Been using a 720 as a loaner that I paid 3k for since then. 

2 hours ago, elixr said:

Where did you get the 1140 for $4900? Was it a pre order? I just got an email from my dealer that my preorder is finally available. Been using a 720 as a loaner that I paid 3k for since then. 

Wasn't a pre-order. I called two weeks ago a store nearby, I was looking for the Marantz AV7706 and the person on the phone steered me toward the Anthem AVM70 instead. During the conversation he said I would be happier with the MRX 1140 and he could do it for the same price. He said to keep it for a week and if I wasn't happy, we could swap it for the AVM70.

He had two in stock that were reserved and was getting a new one on the following Tuesday. I asked if I was coming down now could I get it, he said sure.

They have been super nice, I also ordered some Focal ceiling speakers, 300ICW8 ; when I opened one box I found them way too big. So I asked if I could swap them for the 300ICW4 instead. He advised against it, that they were very small. I said I wanted them anyway but he didn't have them in stock. A week later he called me telling he got them. I went to pick them up, and indeed they were tiny. So I changed my mind again and he let me swap them for the 300ICW6 he had in stock.

Only then did I confirm that I would keep the 1140.

Super nice folks, great prices, awesome service. Sight And Sound Galleria in Camberwell, Victoria.

And they let me change my mind many times :)

Edit: At some stage I did consider getting the 740 instead, price was going to be $4000 or something, he mentioned that once I added the quad-amp to drive the height speakers, price would be the same as the 1140 and that it got a less noisy power supply. I agreed.

Edited by jya
  • Like 1

I had written to Anthem to question the differences between the AVM70 and MRX1140 prior buying it, their answer came today, I thought it would be of interest to some:

"

Hello Jean-Yves,

Sorry for the delay.

These models use the same DAC. The AVM 70 will outperform the MRX 1140 on the pre-amplifier side but most of this performance increase comes from the unit not needing to work as hard as the MRX 1140 since there's fewer electronics/heat in this model

CS
Technical Support Advisor
Paradigm | Anthem AV
On Sat, 5 Jun at 11:23 AM , Jean-Yves wrote:
Location of sender: Australia
Phone: 04XXXXXXXX
Name: Jean-Yves
Hello. Ignoring the balanced XLR output found on the AVM 70. Are there any differences between the AVM70 and the MXR1140 in full pre-amplifier mode quality wise? Like do they use the same DAC etc ? Thank you in advance Jean-Yves
"

16 hours ago, jya said:

Wasn't a pre-order. I called two weeks ago a store nearby, I was looking for the Marantz AV7706 and the person on the phone steered me toward the Anthem AVM70 instead. During the conversation he said I would be happier with the MRX 1140 and he could do it for the same price. He said to keep it for a week and if I wasn't happy, we could swap it for the AVM70.

He had two in stock that were reserved and was getting a new one on the following Tuesday. I asked if I was coming down now could I get it, he said sure.

They have been super nice, I also ordered some Focal ceiling speakers, 300ICW8 ; when I opened one box I found them way too big. So I asked if I could swap them for the 300ICW4 instead. He advised against it, that they were very small. I said I wanted them anyway but he didn't have them in stock. A week later he called me telling he got them. I went to pick them up, and indeed they were tiny. So I changed my mind again and he let me swap them for the 300ICW6 he had in stock.

Only then did I confirm that I would keep the 1140.

Super nice folks, great prices, awesome service. Sight And Sound Galleria in Camberwell, Victoria.

And they let me change my mind many times :)

Edit: At some stage I did consider getting the 740 instead, price was going to be $4000 or something, he mentioned that once I added the quad-amp to drive the height speakers, price would be the same as the 1140 and that it got a less noisy power supply. I agreed.

So they matched the discounted price of the avm70? That's a really good price. Hopefully I can get a similar deal with the rest of the cost of my 1140.

5 hours ago, jya said:

These models use the same DAC. The AVM 70 will outperform the MRX 1140 on the pre-amplifier side but most of this performance increase comes from the unit not needing to work as hard as the MRX 1140 since there's fewer electronics/heat in this model

Paradigm | Anthem AV"
Are there any differences between the AVM70 and the MXR1140 in full pre-amplifier mode quality wise? Like do they use the same DAC etc ? Thank you in advance 

I like they say 'most" of the performance increase Jean  ; they were slack with the details B| . Last gen had better analogue to digital converter's in the 60 pre pro compared to the 1120 ; this gen i dunno ?

Worth factoring in for anyone who wants a pure analogue 2ch path is the avm70 has this ; the mrx1140 has an adc dac conversion ; no passthrough .. 

5 hours ago, jya said:

Hello Jean-Yves,

Sorry for the delay.

CS
Technical Support Advisor
Paradigm | Anthem AV

Interesting - Specs taken off their website - AVM 70 - 32-Bit/768 kHz DAC (AKM AK4490EQ)

MRX1140 - • 32-Bit/768 kHz DAC (AKM AK4458VN)

1 hour ago, kudeta2003 said:

Interesting - Specs taken off their website - AVM 70 - 32-Bit/768 kHz DAC (AKM AK4490EQ)

MRX1140 - • 32-Bit/768 kHz DAC (AKM AK4458VN)

The AVM 70 has the additional AK4490 chip for stereo use and better stereo analog stages. It uses the same AK4485 chip for multi channel as the MRX 1140.

2 hours ago, cwt said:

I like they say 'most" of the performance increase Jean  ; they were slack with the details B| . Last gen had better analogue to digital converter's in the 60 pre pro compared to the 1120 ; this gen i dunno ?

Worth factoring in for anyone who wants a pure analogue 2ch path is the avm70 has this ; the mrx1140 has an adc dac conversion ; no passthrough .. 

I think you're misreading their answer.

He's comparing the AVM70 vs MRX 1140 ; and he's mentioned that they have the same DAC. I no longer have any analog audio source. And even if using a CD player, I would do so via the bluray player and feed digital to the 1140/70 and let it do the DAC

8 hours ago, jya said:

this seems consistent with what have seen of shots under hood, basically the AVM looks like the MRX with amps taken out. 

makes sense then also why MRX costs more - for the amps :) 

• Like 1