Official Thread: JVC N Series Native 4K Projectors

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had received quite a few PMs from members asking me for my comments on whether to upgrade the X series to the N series. Unfortunately I am unable to comment at this point. I usually don't like to comment on stuff that I personally have yet to review. It will be considered an extremely irresponsible thing to do if I prematurely state something which I have no personal experience with. As such, I will appreciate if members can stop asking me for my opinion on which is better as I really don't know at this point. The N series could very well be worse than the last gen X series for all we know...

I am pushing for dealers to ship in an early unit of N7 for me to play around with and hopefully before the actual launch, everyone here will have a first-hand info based on my experience playing with it. As always, I will share my review and personal take on some of the new features in this latest N series family.

JVC Singapore has informed local dealers that the earliest shipment for N7 series (at least) will only arrive sometime in Mar. Some dealer told me early Mar while some say end of Mar to early Apr. I think this is too long a wait considering that other countries already selling like hotcakes except for Asia continent this time round. I blame it on the JVC management for failing to do a good job but that's just my take as a customer. Anyway I understand from some dealers that JVC Singapore management team was in talk with JVC Japan side to press for delivery of early pre-orders, hopefully we can get the new N series as early as end of Feb to early Mar. Nothing concrete being firmed up yet.

I will let the dealers provide us with more first-hand info updates on the discussion between the 2 sides. Their info will be more credible than mine.

Today I had placed a pre order for the JVC N7 through a local dealer. If all turns out well, I should be getting the projector either end of Jan or early Feb.

Fingers crossed that I can get it before CNY but I highly doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been stuck with my old trusty AE7K PJ for over 5 years now. My attempts over the past two years to upgrade to 4K have been thwarted due to lack of throw distance and unwillingness to downsize my 92 inch screen. However i’m now prepared to size down to 80 inch with the emergence of the N7 but a new deliema has arise.

Given the emergence of premium large screen TV displays, i’m now in two minds over going for a 77/85 inch OLED/LCD over the JVC N7. Assuming total cost would be quite similar, how many of you folks would continue to stick with the PJ route. Thanks for all your comments.

Been stuck with my old trusty AE7K PJ for over 5 years now. My attempts over the past two years to upgrade to 4K have been thwarted due to lack of throw distance and unwillingness to downsize my 92 inch screen. However i’m now prepared to size down to 80 inch with the emergence of the N7 but a new deliema has arise.

Given the emergence of premium large screen TV displays, i’m now in two minds over going for a 77/85 inch OLED/LCD over the JVC N7. Assuming total cost would be quite similar, how many of you folks would continue to stick with the PJ route. Thanks for all your comments.

If large screen flat TVs @ 100" can be bought at below $10k, I would go for a flat screen TV.

If large screen flat TVs @ 100" can be bought at below $10k, I would go for a flat screen TV.

100 inch TV would cost more than the RS4500 lah.. Maybe in 5 yrs time when Micro LED has matured, you can then size it up like LEGO bricks over several years to reach your desired size. ?

for the size you quote, TV is no brainer for me.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

One benefit of staying the PJ route will be the 3D support that is present in the N7. Anyone know if the JVC works with active 3D glasses from Panasonic & Sony?

Not sure but I'm using JVC very own 3D active shutter glasses (come as a bundled). I have to say that the 3D have come a long way for JVC and it had improved by leaps and bounds. Gone are the days of parallax error or ghosting. Bro Jeff, you getting the N7 yourself?

I have read that 8K e-shift found in the top-tier NX9 did not really improve the image overall especially for those in 1080p. The reviewer preferred to switch off the e-Shift which somehow made the image looked softer and even add some "noise" in certain footages. Just imagine one is paying so much more and yet  the best image quality is to turn off e-Shift. That's not good...

I will be getting the N5. Currently using a remaco pull down 106" screen which I think will not do justice to the N5.

After some research, have narrowed down my search for 106" fixed screen to the Silver Ticket sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYLK1BQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

Sharing here for info. Not yet pull trigger but planning to do so soon  :)

One question I have is if I watch standard blu ray on the N5, will it have any upscale capability? As 8 out of 10 movies I watch will be in standard blu ray should I use a 1080P projector for non 4K discs or just use the N5 for everything? Any views?  :)

I will be getting the N5. Currently using a remaco pull down 106" screen which I think will not do justice to the N5.

After some research, have narrowed down my search for 106" fixed screen to the Silver Ticket sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYLK1BQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A330XBNPFIPBVL&psc=1

Sharing here for info. Not yet pull trigger but planning to do so soon  :)

One question I have is if I watch standard blu ray on the N5, will it have any upscale capability? As 8 out of 10 movies I watch will be in standard blu ray should I use a 1080P projector for non 4K discs or just use the N5 for everything? Any views?  :)

Actually this is the most difficult question to answer. These new “N” series are the latest models that comes with true native 4K panel as compared to previous JVC models which in essence STILL a 1080p full HD panel which employs their proprietary eShift algorithm to upscale 1080p video to near 4K quality and in that aspect, eShift has did quite an admirable job imo. But now, we are dealing with something different in the sense that it is true 4K panel which means eShift will not be employed this time except for 8K materials which the flagship model (NX9) will have and not the rest. Until some of us get our hands on any of the N series projectors to test out, there is no way we can tell whether for normal Blu-ray in 1080p will perform better or on par with previous gens using eShift.

For me, I am inclined to think that it will do a better job than eShift because there is less processing power for scaling to take effect, leaving more processing needs for the auto tone-mapping feature to take its course on HDR content. Again, this is my own opinion and nothing I say here holds water as it is just my guess.

Thx Des for ur views. Yup just have to try for ourselves once new projector arrives n decide then.

My ht setup in my hall so now figuring out where to place my fixed screen when not watching movies, as my previous pull down was places in front of tv console. Furtunately i have 2 separate walls to hang the fixed screen when not in use.... but not sure how tedious it will be to move the screen each time, but i am digressing here  :P

Not sure but I'm using JVC very own 3D active shutter glasses (come as a bundled). I have to say that the 3D have come a long way for JVC and it had improved by leaps and bounds. Gone are the days of parallax error or ghosting. Bro Jeff, you getting the N7 yourself?

Yeah.. seriously considering it although it sucks that I'm limited to only a 80 inch screen.  The other challenge that I'm seeing is getting hold of a good 80 inch HDR-ready PJ screen itself.  Seems like none of the better brands even have this kind of sizing with 92 being the minimum.  Customization would likely cost a lot.  Heck, if the Sony 85 inch Z9G can be had for the same price of the N7, maybe that would be a better option. :-)

Thx Des for ur views. Yup just have to try for ourselves once new projector arrives n decide then.

My ht setup in my hall so now figuring out where to place my fixed screen when not watching movies, as my previous pull down was places in front of tv console. Furtunately i have 2 separate walls to hang the fixed screen when not in use.... but not sure how tedious it will be to move the screen each time, but i am digressing here  :P

Hi Hero ,

To look neat you can stick back to manual pull down the better choice will be a motorize screen .

On the fixed type you can use a fixed screen with stand with wheels or other option wire hang down on top down , when not in used can hang over the other side .

Hope that helps .

Hi Hero ,

To look neat you can stick back to manual pull down the better choice will be a motorize screen .

On the fixed type you can use a fixed screen with stand with wheels or other option wire hang down on top down , when not in used can hang over the other side .

Hope that helps .

+1

Hi Hero ,

Hope that helps .

Thanks Alf. Motorised screen with tab tension too costly for me. Also, I hate all the squished bugs over time which is inevitable when using a rolled up screen. I wanna go for fixed screen this time to get the optimal viewing experience from the N5.

I reckon a smooth 'texture free' screen is essential because from my calculation, each 4K pixel will be approximately 0.6mm x 0.6mm when projected on a 106" screen. 

Thanks Alf. Motorised screen with tab tension too costly for me. Also, I hate all the squished bugs over time which is inevitable when using a rolled up screen. I wanna go for fixed screen this time to get the optimal viewing experience from the N5.

I reckon a smooth 'texture free' screen is essential because from my calculation, each 4K pixel will be approximately 0.6mm x 0.6mm when projected on a 106" screen.

Yes, fixed screen is the best for home theatre enthusiast like most members here. I’m using a Carada screen from US since 2012 and have not failed me simply because of rolling mechanism over time. Of course like u mentioned, it takes up a whole lot of space especially in a living hall. Some wife may not approve of it.