Playback of DSD/DSF files from a Windows 7 file-share (or DLNA server)

hw

Hey guys,

Need some help, please.

I'm trying to get my Yamaha net player (NP S303) to play DSD files that are stored in an external hard drive.

So far all the resources that I have read, are referring to playback through a USB DAC. But what I really want is to playback with the net player.

What would I need to do that?

Current setup: Yamaha NPS303 connected to home network by wifi (I can use LAN, if necessary).

DSD files are stored in an external hard drive, connected to a Win7 PC that is connected to the same network by wifi (I can also use LAN, if necessary).

Playback with a PC or a Mac.  Use a Media player like JRiver Media Centre.  See if your Yamaha can support DSD files via DOPe protocol.

If yes, it will playback with no issue.  If it cannot supooort then you use JRiver Media Center to convert all DSD to PCM.

(Audio)

Guest AndrewC

Hey guys,

Did a quick scan of the User Manual, it clearly says it supports DSD files. Two ways you can playback DSD files....

(1) Put your DSD files onto a USB flash and playback via USB flash plugged into the NP-S303.

Or

(2) Enable "DMC Control" on your NP-S303 and use any DLNA software on your Windows PC (like JRiver that Audio mentions). Once DMC control is enabled, you should be able to see the NP-S303 as a "DLNA Renderer" on whatever DLNA software you're using.

Good luck :)

Ps: Before (2), make sure your NP-S303 is connected to the same LAN network as your Windows PC first of course, either via Wireless or LAN cable, shouldn't really matter.

Guys, thanks for the pointers!

AndrewC, I have already tried option 1 and it works beautifully. That's why now I'd like to playback the DSD files that are stored in the external hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest AndrewC

Hey guys, Happy New Year!

@AndrewC - about Option 2 - I'm still a bit confused. Would I need to enable DoP and install ASIO on the Windows side?

Nope, you wouldn't need to I believe. I'm pretty sure your Yamaha can accept the DSD stream directly via it's Ethernet port (over DLNA/HTTP) from your DLNA Server.

What DLNA Server software are you using, and what about the DLNA Control-point client, which are you using?