Panasonic UB820 UHD Player Owners Thread

There are reports the new processing on the 820 is better than the Oppo.

First impressions are good.

I just watched a few critical scenes from Black Panther UHD and there seems less of that black crush. The video settings allow you to set the display to a low luminance TV or projector and that seems to be the reason for the difference.

And yes it is better than the Oppo. Picture appears sharper too.

Compared to the the 900, it does

A. Dolby Vision

B. HDR10+

C. Better tone mapping

I just watched a few critical scenes from Black Panther UHD and there seems less of that black crush. The video settings allow you to set the display to a low luminance TV or projector and that seems to be the reason for the difference.

A. Dolby Vision

B. HDR10+

C. Better tone mapping

Sounds very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A. Dolby Vision

B. HDR10+

C. Better tone mapping

Sounds like a potential replacement for our OPPOs in time to come.

Thanks DH for this! :)

A. Dolby Vision

B. HDR10+

C. Better tone mapping

This is always a welcome sight!

From AVS

Here are my settings that I like to use:

UB820:  SDR2020, HDR optimizer on, slider to +2

885:  Laser at 80, D65, Gamma 2.4, BT2020,  tune brighness and contrast with masciola disc (For me with masciola i get brightness on 50, contrast on max)

Youll get nice bright images. The HDR optimizer on in the SDR2020 setting will tone map according to each disc metadata.  I think it works great.  Much better details in dark scenes, and no clipping in the extra bright scenes (I can finally see the minister of magics face in harry potter goblet of fire quidditch scene).  I just wish it had an HDMI input like oppo.

Will try it out tomorrow.

Holee crap

Just hooked the 820 to my ZD9, enabled Dolby Vision and set display to high luminance display.

Then plonked in Black Panther. So much shadow detail. I swear a lot of it was missing in the 900 before.

Nice!

Tonight I decided to take the Oppo 203 out of the projector set up and replaced it with the 820.

And I used this setting

“Here are my settings that I like to use:

UB820: SDR2020, HDR optimizer on, slider to +2

885: Laser at 80, D65, Gamma 2.4, BT2020, tune brighness and contrast with masciola disc (For me with masciola i get brightness on 50, contrast on max)

Youll get nice bright images. The HDR optimizer on in the SDR2020 setting will tone map according to each disc metadata. I think it works great. Much better details in dark scenes, and no clipping in the extra bright scenes (I can finally see the minister of magics face in harry potter goblet of fire quidditch scene). I just wish it had an HDMI input like oppo.”

DAMN. After marveling at how good Black Panther looked on the ZD9 with Dolby Vision I had despaired at getting this title to work with projectors.

But with this new setting the terribly washed out scenes with the 760ES previously now look actually watchable.

Holee crap

Just hooked the 820 to my ZD9, enabled Dolby Vision and set display to high luminance display.

Then plonked in Black Panther. So much shadow detail. I swear a lot of it was missing in the 900 before.

So this player supports the low latency DV profile that the Z9D requires? Sooooo tempting!