Panasonic UB820 UHD Player Owners Thread

Ca bros here share their streaming experiences with this player? Is VPN required to stream Netflix etc? Thanks

Netflix Singapore library, Amazon Singapore library and You Tube work out of the box. If you want to access the US library for Netflix and Amazon, you will need VPN or Smart DNS.

Netflix Singapore library, Amazon Singapore library and You Tube work out of the box. If you want to access the US library for Netflix and Amazon, you will need VPN or Smart DNS.

Thanks StephenBishop. Looking to use this mainly for Netflix streaming. Playing blurays & cds are a bonus. Will only be streaming local Netflix.

• 1 month later...

Finally found one German E-tailer that ships PANASONIC UB9000* @ competitive price that ships to SG, with German TAX removal...

http://hidden-audio.de/index.php/panasonic-dp-ub9004-uhd-blu-ray-player-4k-hdr.html

Total under SGD$1.4k shipped.

*Region locked @ FHDBD-B/DVD-2

Now with shipping to SG, base on current X-rate of 0.664eu to SGD$1, UB9004 is now @ $1216!!!

Is there any reason why Panasonic Singapore is not bringing in the UB820 or any UHD player for that matter?  I would have thought they would be a great match for their OLEDs.  Or have they figured that no one in Singapore bar dinosaurs like us bother with physical media anymore?

...Or have they figured that no one in Singapore bar dinosaurs like us bother with physical media anymore?

My guess/personal view?

Panasonic probably hv "social media" team monitoring the trend of media penetration into households.

Current age "homevideo" media is not as exciting as the laserdisc time and DVD time.

During laserdisc time, becos of the move along home karaoke trend, Panasonic pushes lots of LD players into the market, no need to scare of overstocking.

During DVD period, home karaoke trend may be dimming in the early days, the rise of another "K" is rising... the "K" series also secures the sale of DVD device. No Overstocking issues as well.

Now comes BD period... as BD comes into roughly 3rd year of introduction into market, so along comes the rise of streaming media, and the rise of Ah-Tiong media boxes. Unlike DVD, BDs are more easy to rip, and streaming media users rents BDs and rip the movies into MKV files or other format that can replay in high-def presentation in terms of video/audio qualities. Ah-Tiong media boxes links to China server that packed with ripped off movies from either "low quality cinema screening pirates" or "high quality copies of official BD backups" thru different apps.

So... is it worth to bring in stocks to sell in SG where the "dinosaurs" like us who sticks to physical medias, knowing that the sales figure will be low for a company's profit? Is it worth fighting with Sony, whom are also conservative to bring in just entry level X700 to sell without inclusion of other models like X800 and X1000? Which eventually ended with un-expected results in UHD adopters' response?

... Now comes BD period... as BD comes into roughly 3rd year of introduction into market, so along comes the rise of streaming media, and the rise of Ah-Tiong media boxes. Unlike DVD, BDs are more easy to rip, and streaming media users rents BDs and rip the movies into MKV files or other format that can replay in high-def presentation in terms of video/audio qualities. Ah-Tiong media boxes links to China server that packed with ripped off movies from either "low quality cinema screening pirates" or "high quality copies of official BD backups" thru different apps.

So... is it worth to bring in stocks to sell in SG where the "dinosaurs" like us who sticks to physical medias, knowing that the sales figure will be low for a company's profit?  ...

Have to concede that this is sad but true.  I guess we are all swimming against the tide.

Have to concede that this is sad but true.  I guess we are all swimming against the tide.

Maybe bringing down the price of discs here in singapore to be closer to those in USA or Australia will help?

Maybe bringing down the price of discs here in singapore to be closer to those in USA or Australia will help?

If this could happen it would have happened already.  From DVDs to Blu-rays to UHD discs, we always pay a premium here.  Amazon SG hasn't helped one bit.

there are too much discussion on this topic of media... basically it can be summarize into 2“penetration”, 1- entry of media into the market, 2- wide acceptance and penetration of media into households.

there are too much discussion on this topic of media... basically it can be summarize into 2“penetration”, 1- entry of media into the market, 2- wide acceptance and penetration of media into households.

Okay, no point adding to a discussion that's been done to death.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest wcseow

HK has?

When I was looking for it, only US, UK and Australia has. Eventually bought from Amazon UK cause of mains voltage.

HK has?...

I'm also scratching my head... Consumers from Taiwan and HK hv to import the 820 model from US/Japan and Europe respectively, pretty obvious that this mid-end model is not available throughout Asia region...

I'm also scratching my head... Consumers from Taiwan and HK hv to import the 820 model from US/Japan and Europe respectively, pretty obvious that this mid-end model is not available throughout Asia region...

Yep. I can never fathom the logic of Panny distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping they would release it here. If I'm not wrong the ones from UK are Region B locked for blu-rays, which is not ideal. I can't find any US sets on Amazon USA but even if I do, would the voltage be an issue for use in Singapore without a step up transformer?