Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

x90J? very well! :)

Heaps good! I've been waiting to get a TV for my bright living room so I was curious as I noticed the X90J is lacking the X-Anti Reflection feature that the X95J model has.

Hey all!

Just seeing if anybody has the Sony Z9G in SA?

I would be keen to check one out if anybody would be happy to let me look at theirs for 10minutes.

I am looking at purchasing one to replace a 77" OLED but keen to see how it compares for HDR before I order it.

Thanks

Hi,

For the life of me can someone please explain how to ok record live tv with my Sony 75 X95H.

It worked on every Panasonic I've owned I'm pretty sure.

I've also sold my topfield.

Does Kayo show sports in HD and previous games?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Arry74 said:

Well that's just great, not cheers

Good to find this out at least for anyone considering a sony ; you have done everyone a service by asking 👌 Made me check my Hisense with its vidaa apps ; no worries thankfully.. 

On 13/05/2021 at 8:17 AM, stinger said:

Heaps good! I've been waiting to get a TV for my bright living room so I was curious as I noticed the X90J is lacking the X-Anti Reflection feature that the X95J model has.

I'm in the same boat, but it looks like the 65" wont have the X-Anti reflection either which is a bit of a bummer

On 20/05/2021 at 9:02 AM, Andre28 said:

I'm in the same boat, but it looks like the 65" wont have the X-Anti reflection either which is a bit of a bummer

Interesting.. the Sony product page only lists the 65" as not having the X-Anti Reflection feature. Does this mean the 75" and 85" models do?

image.png.251ca297f5c2860c31e5829fdd0a89aa.png

Yeah I believe the larger ones do. I tried emailing and facebooking Sony AU and got no reply. I got a reply from the Sony US facebook page, saying they cant give me info as they only have info on US spec models. I replied stating that was fine, I was after the US specs, and got no reply to that.

1 hour ago, stinger said:

Cool, I hope that's the case.. shame about the 65" models missing out on it though!

Does anyone have info on when the X95J models will be released in AU by any chance? 

Likely in August or September!

21 hours ago, stinger said:

Interesting.. the Sony product page only lists the 65" as not having the X-Anti Reflection feature. Does this mean the 75" and 85" models do?

image.png.251ca297f5c2860c31e5829fdd0a89aa.png

My guess is that SONY has logically thought people buying the 65"model are going to be sitting closer to the TV than the 75" and 85" models.

Since X-Anti reflection [like all anti reflection coatings] uses a form of light scattering to reduce reflections, it also somewhat reduces fine detail compared to a TV that doesn't have it.

Sony has probably tested this and found that this loss of fine detail is noticeable on the 65" model due to the closer viewing distance, and they would prefer to keep it rather than lose it with the anti reflection coating.

Pity they don't have the option to choose a coated or none coated version, I know what a PITA having a highly reflective screen can be, even in a light controlled room.

You never really know until the AUS stock is out in the shops if the info on the website is correct anyway, it could turn out none of the TV's have the anti reflection coating for the AUS market.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well. Just bought one sight unseen and extremely impressed. Decimates the C9 77" Oled. There is just an extra sense of depth and organic detail without the digital sharpness feel of 4k.

The 4k to 8k up scaling on a good hdr is superb. Can only imagine what 8k native would be like. 

• 4 weeks later...

What would be better  in a sunlight room. Tv is a general use ( tv / fox/ netflix/movie, NOT a main movie tv, so windows will be open during day time eatching

the new 

75 inch models

x90j va pannel

or 

x80j ips pannel

people sit 2 to 4 mtrs away, worried about angle view

Edited by Dirk76

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sony XR-65A80J was purchased by a friend of mine and works fine with free to air and streaming etc.

But, trying to find the info, how to connect an external USB hard drive to do the FTA recording.

Did some googling for 'Sony XR-65A80J HDD Recording' but couldn't find any useful info how to do the recording.

Can anyone with Sony help ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Guest thathifiguy
5 hours ago, NADbooffa said:

Hi all,

Sony XR-65A80J was purchased by a friend of mine and works fine with free to air and streaming etc.

But, trying to find the info, how to connect an external USB hard drive to do the FTA recording.

Did some googling for 'Sony XR-65A80J HDD Recording' but couldn't find any useful info how to do the recording.

Can anyone with Sony help ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

I think you're out of luck;

image.png.59e7dff6cea36feb6542fa6eff3d738f.png

On 12/05/2021 at 1:41 AM, petetherock said:

Thank for sharing your experiences.

I currently have a 55" X9500H (2020) model in for repair at the moment. Issues with Netflix freezing (sound, but no video) and Red motion flare/ghost/blur. There is an issue with this tv/model, even with the main board being replaced!

So I hoping I can change it for a 2021 model - X90J.

Regards, Ron

Our Pioneer Kuro is limping... well actually...literally now on the "blink" :D it occasionally and randomly has recently started dong a split second black screen :D and more occasionally will just randomly switch off 😮 given its long service now ...12 years ? I think its done its dash... and e-waste now its destiny...

have ordered a sony A90J OLED as replacement ...whcih from what have been able to check out in person seems best replacement for me,...only other alternative was the LG OLED which seem fantastic as well.  but seem to prefer the Sony interface. usability is important to me ... not to say the sony is fantastic :D would have preferred a panasonic... but we dont get them no more ! 

there are also some things the Sony is not great at... after sales for one... LG seems to go above and beyond and sony just left wanting in this regard. JB fortunately can cover for 5.5 years with changeover... so making sure am getting that. Additionally in hdmi 2.1 ports, LG has it all over sony...which only give you 2 ! and one of them is the earc port :D fortunately unlikely i will ever need more than one port...the other gripe with sony is lack of VRR (variable refresh rate support) though they say by later firmware.... apparently they said that with the last gen model too :D that said they do appear to support DTS formats over earc as well.. which i believe LG dont...

So while doesn't appear to be any perfect option right now ... any of them capability and connectivity wise are well beyond what i have (as the kuro just works as a monitor and new acquisition should have me covered for some years still

one interesting thing is size wise the a90J ends up about 1mm smaller than my kuro :D so not intruding on lounge room setting but ends up giving much larger sceen as the new OLEDs ave very thin bezels and the sony incorporate their speakers in the panel vs the large side speakers the kuro need..

any way look forward to when the sony turns up... not that there is much stock if any...one chain has none the one ordered from is awaiting a few and mine is one of them... perhaps its covid tv watching and olympics ... plus scarcity that means theres not many about ! anyways happy to keep waiting and limping along...we can get by till shows up...

• Like 1

@betty boop

looking forward to your experience.  I'll be buying something like this next year, so you should have reliable experience by then.  I have no doubt it will be a quality product, but things like usability will be interesting (I have not been a SONY person to date, always Panasonic).

Which screen size did you get?

Benje

• Like 1