Apple 4K TV Thread

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it, that simple. Thanks a lot. Been reading the wrong article [emoji2357]

There is a difference between developer beta vs public beta. Developers will receive first but usually within a day or two, public beta will become avail. Hence my previous post stating, "...look out for a new beta coming soon."

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Take note that mirroring function is not working for this beta. If you are not using this feature then no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure? I've no problem doing screen mirroring. Just do a restart to both devices and you should be fine.

8163580acd3ef91983d0da6cdb9fa396.jpg18b1a86ae58f9e4ff9b5bfedb3c959c2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Just loaded beta last night, and it works now atmos .

For those attempting it the first time like me, there is also a need To Enroll your devices in the Apple Beta Software Program to get the latest public betas from Software Update.

You must Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program terms and conditions if necessary, only after agreeing, will you see one more option to update to beta under system , software updates

Then this beta software update will appear (circled in red) “ after signing providing consent” on the Apple beta programme with the link here https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

29d4a598a0c90881d12aef473eec2f5f.jpg

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just loaded beta last night, and it works now atmos .

For those attempting it the first time like me, there is also a need To Enroll your devices in the Apple Beta Software Program to get the latest public betas from Software Update.

You must Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program terms and conditions if necessary, only after agreeing, will you see one more option to update to beta under system , software updates

Then this beta software update will appear (circled in red) “ after signing providing consent” on the Apple beta programme with the link here https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

29d4a598a0c90881d12aef473eec2f5f.jpg

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep...u need to do this part...this will also apply to iOS, MacOS, WatchOS as well...just need to enroll it once.

Bros

Did you notice something that just happened?

Those past Disney movies on iTunes, they are all now Atmos and DV enabled!

Wow!!

Even the Marvel movies too!  ;D

Wow. That's nice!

Hope they will do it for the Marvel movies as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was experiencing very very loud popping when playing Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on my AppleTV.

I tried changing settings. And initially turning off Dolby Vision or Atmos would fix the problem but recently it’s gotten worse. I tried better cables. Nada.

Made me think it could be a hardware issue. I happened to have a second Apple TV in the living room. Annoyed the missus in the middle of her Netflix Korean drama but swapping the unit took less than a minute.

Brought the other unit in and plugged it to my HT system. Zero pops.

Now I’ll have to bring the other one to Apple to get a replacement. Hope the warranty is still active.

Just a quick update. The YouTube app on my Apple TV 4K now supports 4K streaming at 30fps (no 60fps when I tried) sans the HDR. A check at the need stats confirmed that it's colorimetry support is up to BT709 only. Not sure whether it is due to the limitation of Apple's chipset not powerful enough (which I highly doubt it) or something else. Let's hope that we will eventually have 4K at 60fps and HDR support soon.

I have also placed an order for a new Roku Ultra 2020 streamer box that supports DV and Dolby Atmos. The YouTube app confirm can support up to 4K at 60fps and HDR. Just don't understand why Apple can't. 

Edited by desray
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys! just got the apple TV 4K

I find that 7.1 media is kinda lacking - my 4k netflix series seems to only pop the extra channels with the "ATMOS" movies or series

Anyone have good files to share to test my new 7.1 system?

Also - any good apple tv program to load these files? I downloaded VLC but im wondering what everyone else is using to play back clips on their apple tv?

Maybe I'm not following you..

You have a ATV and a 7.1 setup, and you want sound to come from all 7 surround channels that you are using?

Depending on what amp do you own, you may need to turn on the pseudo surround modes to expand the soundtracks, which are using lossy 5.1 from the Netflix app. I don't recall any 7.1 native tracks from Netflix. Atmos ones are available, but not 7.1.

Check your manual and see what surround modes are available in your AV amp.

• Administrator

Most of the content on streaming apps I've come across on ATV is 5.1. As @petetherock mentioned, depending on amp you may be able to upmix with your settings.

As for apps for playing back local content, Plex, Infuse and Emby are the players of choice for most. Personally, I use Infuse on the front end with a Plex server backend. Ultimately I have ditched the ATV 4K in favour of a Zapitti Pro 4K though, which just does everything better.

hi sorry - my post was no very clear - i have a NAD 758 V3 with 7 x full range speakers (no atmos) - L/R/Centre/SurroundLeft/SurroundRight/RearLeft/RearRight

i can confirm that all channel works fine , but when i play media 

- some netflix 5.1 stuff play rear channels in my surround left/right  and my rears are blank (old movies)

- dolby atmos movies play all  7 channels minus the ceilings (as i dont have any) - this is a good start 

im trying to find more stuff to make use of all 7 channels - wondering if native 7.1 video files loaded into VLC would work? (if anyone tried?)

47 minutes ago, drzero said:

hi sorry - my post was no very clear - i have a NAD 758 V3 with 7 x full range speakers (no atmos) - L/R/Centre/SurroundLeft/SurroundRight/RearLeft/RearRight

i can confirm that all channel works fine , but when i play media 

- some netflix 5.1 stuff play rear channels in my surround left/right  and my rears are blank (old movies)

- dolby atmos movies play all  7 channels minus the ceilings (as i dont have any) - this is a good start 

im trying to find more stuff to make use of all 7 channels - wondering if native 7.1 video files loaded into VLC would work? (if anyone tried?)

Switch the Audio to DD 5.1