Ikea Chopping Block Speaker

It's been 10 years since I built my first speaker (clone of ProAc Response 2.5) and I've built some 40-ish speakers/subwoofer until now. Here's another one to conclude 2016.

This project started few months ago. One day I walked around Ikea and saw Lamplig solid beech chopping block that can be utilized for speaker cabinet. It has good thickness and sufficient size. The price is not bad, too. Originally I wanted bamboo but the size and price are not ideal.

I brought the chopping blocks to Ban Heng Long for cutting to size.

Going home I was excited to glue the boards

Things looked good for now....... until few days later I found out that the glue broke and it appeared that the wood has grown and slightly warp  :'(

This was perfectly match but ~4mm gap was present.

I got frustrated and left the cabinet alone for few months while I was busy with other projects.

It seemed that the wood no longer grow. After trimming the chopping block further I glued again and this time I added screws for extra strength. This is a must I guess because some warp was seen.

Seas Excel midwoofer and Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter are used for this project.

Crossover utilized simple second order with impedance correction for the woofer and single padding resistor for the tweeter.

Here's the speaker after assembly

I haven't done any measurement. Quick listening seemed alright but I think I need a bit more sparkle from the tweeter. I'll let it run in a bit before tweaking.

At least I will have new speaker for the Noising  :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys!

I spent some time today to tweak the crossover. It's quite tricky to do MTM design with woofers in parallel while avoiding the impedance from dipping too low. Here's the impedance and phase measurement.

I also feel the smooth nature of the ribbon tweeter such that I need to tilt up the tweeter freq response slightly to feel more 'right'. This is the close freq response measurement at a bit off axis.

Though I would expect that this speaker would produce good bass I'm a bit surprised how low it can go for this little midwoofer. It still needs good amp to drive it. This is the freq response of the port.

Thanks Guys!

I spent some time today to tweak the crossover. It's quite tricky to do MTM design with woofers in parallel while avoiding the impedance from dipping too low. Here's the impedance and phase measurement.

I also feel the smooth nature of the ribbon tweeter such that I need to tilt up the tweeter freq response slightly to feel more 'right'. This is the close freq response measurement at a bit off axis.

Though I would expect that this speaker would produce good bass I'm a bit surprised how low it can go for this little midwoofer. It still needs good amp to drive it. This is the freq response of the port.

Wow impressive bass for the size.  20hz!

• 2 weeks later...

This is Version 2  :D

I was not 100% at home with ribbon tweeter. It's good but there's certain edge that I missed compared to good soft dome tweeter. I happen to have Seas Crescendo tweeter that has the same flange size, similar impedance at crossover point, and also similar sensitivity. I just need to cut bigger hole opening. Now more familiar high is back  :)