Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

The remote on my 203, the contact became a bit rusted after battery leak. Anyone know where to get a replacement remote?

If cannot find a replacement remote (which I think not possible since Oppo no longer manufacturing bluray player). You can download the Oppo Media Control app. It is very good and can replace the remote controller with ease.

Don't throw the remote away. If you remote was button facing up, most of the leakage would not have seeped into the PCB. Clean the contacts out thoroughly, using white vinegar and finally isopropyl alcohol. If you are very handy, you can also find replacement contact springs from surplus suppliers like Koba.

Next time use heavy duty batteries or rechargeable batteries only. Almost all of my accidents have been with Alkaline ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this comment in but as an Oppo 205 user I was very pleasantly surprised and thought some other owners may be interested!

My 10 year old 4-bay Intel Atom based NAS started to give me low disk storage alerts. I then had a choice of either putting in larger disks or adding a new NAS with more bays and larger disks and using my old NAS as a back up for critical files. I decided on the latter and bought an 8-bay QNAP Intel Core I-5 NAS.

Surprised and delighted when I found out that I could stream 4K UHD and 1080P Bluray ISO files directly over DLNA to my Oppo 205 and also my Sony UBP-X700. Appears that the QNAP transcodes the 4K UHD and 1080P Bluray ISO files on the fly. No stutters whatsoever over my GBE lan connection and although no UHD or Bluray menu, full choice of subtitle and audio track selection including the Atmos track via the remote. Super thrilled.

Unfortunately doesn't work as well on my Panny UB820- the transcoding is fine but I am unable to choose the audio track or choose the subtitles.

Will cross post also on the Sony 4K Player Discussion Thread in case any Sony UBP-X700 player owners are interested.

If cannot find a replacement remote (which I think not possible since Oppo no longer manufacturing bluray player). You can download the Oppo Media Control app. It is very good and can replace the remote controller with ease.

I also have a recent problem with Oppo remote - after discovering one of the battery connection leaked slightly, I clean up the spring connector & inserted new batteries twice - both times, I discovered that after a few hours, the affected battery slot (each time with 2 new batteries) "sweats" i.e. some slight condensation seen on the battery.

Can't be that both new batteries are faulty - so it must be the remote, right? Remote is still usable though, but I'm afraid to just leave the batteries inside.

Also, FYI, SG doesn't sell Oppo remote replacements, & Oppo USA & AU only sells them within each country.

I also have a recent problem with Oppo remote - after discovering one of the battery connection leaked slightly, I clean up the spring connector & inserted new batteries twice - both times, I discovered that after a few hours, the affected battery slot (each time with 2 new batteries) "sweats" i.e. some slight condensation seen on the battery.

Can't be that both new batteries are faulty - so it must be the remote, right? Remote is still usable though, but I'm afraid to just leave the batteries inside.

Also, FYI, SG doesn't sell Oppo remote replacements, & Oppo USA & AU only sells them within each country.

I have this same issue too. some more it's bundled batteries.......purchased the the no leak logo better batteries

I took out the batteries already as only used it weekend.

I usually use heavy duty (non alkaline) batteries in remote (eg Sony Silver or GP Green).

I guess I will just insert battery whenever I wish to use the Oppo remote & remove it afterwards like bro rock123....

Why don't get Ikea one? Same Eneloop quality, more cheaper in HK.

Don't even know IKEA got.  I started with Eneloop long time ago, more than 13 years maybe....it was Sanyo until Panasonic bought it over  Bought the multi-chargers in Japan and have consistently been buying it as more remote controls require batteries.  I have stop using disposable Eveready or Duracell since.

(Audio)

If u had done some diggin, u'll find that the MiJ Fujitsu(which later acquired by SANYO which later acquired by PANASONIC) is the same as IKEA LADDA in capacity and design.

0603628_PE680867_S4.jpg

HKD$60/4pc pack in HK

https://www.ikea.com.hk/en/products/integrated-lighting---electronics/batteries/ladda-art-90303880

SGD$16(HKD$90 approx)/4pc pack in SG

https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-90303880/

• 2 months later...

Does anyone else have any problems logging in to their SMB server from their Oppo 203/205? Whenever I try to connect from my Oppo 205 via SMB to my NAS, I am generally able to connect the first time around. However when I next try to access the files in the same session, I get a log in error. Sometimes when I refresh through a re-scan, I am able to log in again and sometimes not! Very random!

Does anyone else have any problems logging in to their SMB server from their Oppo 203/205? Whenever I try to connect from my Oppo 205 via SMB to my NAS, I am generally able to connect the first time around. However when I next try to access the files in the same session, I get a log in error. Sometimes when I refresh through a re-scan, I am able to log in again and sometimes not! Very random!

Answering my own question.

There is clearly a replicable bug in how the Oppo 205 accesses SMB. First time I access any particular shared folder (Folder 1), no problem. If I exit and try and access the same shared Folder 1, I get a log in error. However, if I access another shared folder (Folder 2), and then access Folder 1 again, no problem. Go figure!

The good news is that I have no such issues using NFS to access the same shared folders. So am a happy camper!

Apart from the SMB login problem which does not bother me anymore as I access using NFS, the Oppo 205 is an absolutely fabulous player for playing my video and audio files- in addition of course to UHD and HD bluray discs. Great shame that they discontinued production.

I have other issues, like updating the dac firmware

f43204376c5adbb35f2bae4766454c2e.jpg

The current version I have is 1112

Oppo says to upgrade to 1115, then 1118 for the latest firmware for dac. However our sets are from Taiwan and the site is shut down

Using the USA version, I got this , connection shows established

cc37fafe2fc7f2943e32ddaecf0fda58.jpg

9997d6315c25354bba44ca8f2c97bc45.jpg

It gets stuck and nothing movies

In the end u get a message that says

6c1b03e1b35f66e2f37e6c02a24af803.jpg

However, jumping straight to 1118

4bf57a0d981a64d7c621a4a7fcf85653.jpg

It finished flashing successfully, but as you restart, the dac firmware remains at V1112

After a few attempts, bro NGSK advised me that , playing through the USB DAC, doesn’t activate the .1 sub channel.

So in the end, I didn’t bother with the upgrade, because for music, I’m using 2.2 with line array subs. 2.0 doesn’t sit well with me. So I didn’t bother with the firmware upgrade

Like u have mentioned, other that this, it’s a fantastic player !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

have a look at Reply #1064 on this thread where I posted my personal experience with upgrading the DAC for the 205. mine is also a TW set. it is possible to do the upgrade following the instructions from Oppo's US website. recently I contacted the customer service at the US website to ask for help with upgrading my 205 to the latest firmware which is version UDP20X-65-0131. they were able to send me the TW version of the firmware and I managed to perform the upgrade successfully.

if you have access to Tidal Masters, then it is worthwhile upgrading the firmware for your DAC as it will give you MQA capabilities. regardless of what your personal feelings may be towards MQA, as long as you already have access to it, then you might as well make full use it :)

have a look at Reply #1064 on this thread where I posted my personal experience with upgrading the DAC for the 205. mine is also a TW set. it is possible to do the upgrade following the instructions from Oppo's US website. recently I contacted the customer service at the US website to ask for help with upgrading my 205 to the latest firmware which is version UDP20X-65-0131. they were able to send me the TW version of the firmware and I managed to perform the upgrade successfully.

if you have access to Tidal Masters, then it is worthwhile upgrading the firmware for your DAC as it will give you MQA capabilities. regardless of what your personal feelings may be towards MQA, as long as you already have access to it, then you might as well make full use it :)

Oh, so confirmed it’s the firmware then, the version that I have is the USA version . It is not compatible with a Taiwan Oppo set

Do u happen to have this firmware available for download ?

Oh, so confirmed it’s the firmware then, the version that I have is the USA version . It is not compatible with a Taiwan Oppo set

Do u happen to have this firmware available for download ?

if you are referring to the firmware for the DAC, it is still available for download on Oppo's site. if you are referring to the main firmware for the player itself which is UDP20X-65-0131, you can ask Oppo to send to you. in case you run into trouble, do approach Oppo - they have been stellar with their support thus far regardless of where you bought their player.

Ahhh thanks ! It just struck my mind to reset the Oppo to factory default, and the erase persistent storage ! This technique almost always works.

Forgot troubleshooting 101! Works now

092379aa63d65dd267714dd4dcef442d.jpg

First flashed it to 115

8da9d14bc7853764fe36f9776ee3a1d8.jpg

Then to 118

3efca2698d2701e56eb2526d6efa529d.jpg

Why haven’t I thought of that !

All good now !! Sweet

• 6 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, kuryakin said:

FWIW, I was able to buy a replacement remote using a re-shipping service.  So as long as you have a valid serial number, they obviously don't care if it was a unit sold here.  

The only shame is that this was for my old BDP-105, which has a Netflix app which I still use with my old Pioneer Kuro (which is not a smart TV), and the remote for the 103/5 had a Netflix button.  Which the replacement (which is really for UDP-203/5) does not.

I find that the difficulty with using the media control app is you need to unlock your phone, and then go to the app, if it isn't already the active app.  Which is much slower than pressing one button on a physical remote.  Oh well.  First world problem...

• 1 month later...

bros, for those of us who are still using the 203/ 205, can your jailbroken player play UHD ISO file and Folders?

I found this site: https://oppo-jb.com/ - have any of you guys used their service? my 205 is currently able to play region free DVD and BD while allowing me to keep updating to the official firmware. now that there are no more official firmware on the horizon, I want to jailbreak my 205 to have it play UHD ISO file and Folders. my intention is to make use of the fact that the 205 can read HDR metadata which my Zappiti cannot do.