LinkwitzLab Speaker Owners of Orion, Pluto, LX521 and LXmini chime in please.

If you are an owner and or builder of Siegfried Linkwitz'  LinkwitzLab speakers please tell us your thoughts, comments and journey with SL's designs. What you like, don't like, love, hate, friends comments and listening notes etc. be sure to include any build log references, images of the final results and details of the room that they are working in - size, room treatments etc.

My LX521 build log is here just to get the ball rolling. I have Orion (factory built) and DIY Pluto, LX521 with ASP  and LXmini (being completed now) and have always had very favourable comments from those that have heard them despite non optimal room dimensions.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have finished building a set of lxmini few months back. Powering with an xpa 5 and minidsp for xo as per Linkwitz plans.

Sound wise, there is no boxy feel and it goes quite loud despite having only 6" woofers. No lack of bass. Goes to about 50hz I think, did not measure yet but I feel no need to use sub for music.

Definitely have to place away from side walls and rear. Otherwise will shift the sweet spot.

However it does create a wall of music which is very pleasant to the ears imho.

I bought my kit from magiclx521 as I have no time nor skill to cut the baffles. Quality of kit is very good.

Next kit I'm awaiting delivery is the pure audio project trio15.

Guessed I'm hooked to the open baffle sound.

I heard the LXmini with Davey's subs and they sounded awesome. Using DIY amps and MiniDSP 4x10HD. Im betting SL's +2 version will be at least as good and probably better but it does add significantly to the cost as the bass drivers are not that cheap.

The minis really don't need XPA-5, UPA-500 is probably more than adequate but add the subs and you need 6 channels.

Yeah, I know they don't really need that but oh well. I do have 2 mini x amps but have put them to other uses for now. SL +2 version is a good route if going towards the lx521 since all drivers will be utilised together with that cabinet and you get one LXmini and LX521.

Not sure if I will be able to move to LX521 since WAF is really low on that one. My wife doesn't mind the looks of the LXmini as she thinks it looks interesting but the 521.... is a different thing altogether.  :-X

On the subject of sonic performance though, even my wife who doesn't care much for audio finds the LXmini a huge improvement over my old Celestion and MA bookshelves.

Sadly though, its a shame there aren't that many more LX speaker users here in SG. I think they offer a high VFM compared to what many here pay for commercial bookshelves.

I hear ya on the looks of the 521 setups but they are staggeringly good if you have the space and a tolerable wife. I had to relegate mine to my smaller mancave space that is somewhat contained but I live with as they still sound better than anything else I've heard.

Fortunately the Orions have much more WAF and they stand in the main lounge/HT area where visitors are well surprised when they see and hear them often thinking they might be electrostatics until the covers are removed. Unfortunately they are not the best for HT L/R and I need to work around that one of these days...fortunately HT is not a high priority these days and perhaps for some time to come as SWMBO is also getting more into the vinyl side - how lucky am I :P

A new amp from Emotiva

BasX A-800 (MSRP: $599)

A multi-zone amplifier that features a heavy duty power supply, audiophile-quality Class A/B output stages on each channel, high-quality construction throughout, sophisticated fault protection, informative front panel status indicators, trigger input and output, and understated yet elegant styling. The A-800 has individual inputs for each channel and an input bus for multi-zone and multi-room sound distribution. It boasts eight channels; 50 watts RMS/channel into 8 ohms. Channel pairs are bridgeable to 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms

With 4 channels bridged for 2 subs (+2) and 4 left for the mid bass and full range its a perfect LXmini+2 setup. Not sure how the audio specs look but its a good price point.

I am still contemplating whether I should build the lxmini as I don't have multi channel setup. To get another stereo amp is expensive so I am waiting for more cheaper class d amp to emerge. Order cheap tpa3118d2 pbtl amp board from taobao and hopefully it sounds OK on my old speakers. Then I can decide to get the plan and the rest of the parts in.

I have enough parts for 2 sets right now...and use UPA-500 but thinking for the LXmini+2 that is coming and will need 6 channels. the new Emotiva amp looks interesting or maybe can go for UCD180 setup or even miniDSP ice power 125's x 3

Where did you get the drivers from? Does the drive that comes with the magiclx521 kit priced competitive enough? Or the drivers can be bought cheaper else where?

2 units of Minidsp 2x4 still cheaper than the 4x10HD or 2 units of 2x4HD.

By the way, is it possible to use 2x4HD for the lxmini with add on woofer or lxmini+2 build? Is it digital into the 1st unit then analog out to the second?

sorry bro. I didn't mean to treat you as Q&A. I read the thread at OPLUG a few times but couldn't figure out how to connect the 2x4HD, more for curiosity sake. Thanks for sharing the source of the drivers.

I have enough info to take the next step ie either back to commercial speaker (Spatial M4) or go for lxmini. Thanks.

I have enough info to take the next step ie either back to commercial speaker (Spatial M4) or go for lxmini. Thanks.

Hello bro. The LXmini is more hassle in terms of connections and amplification channels needed. It is not difficult to setup though. Just more financial investment than the spatial m4 will require if you don't already have a multichannel amp or two stereo amps.

You can pm me if you need more info. For my setup I just bought the entire kit from magiclx521 and minidsp from hk. I already have a xpa-5. You need additional rca cables from pre amp to mini dsp to amp. Speaker cables are using neutrik connectors so just one big cable needed for each speaker.

For your spatial m4, just plug and go is enough.

You can also consider the pure audio project trio10 if size is an issue. A bit of DIY required but just one stereo amp no active xo needed.

With regards to whether 4x10hd or not, I think if you have plans to upgrade from lxmini in future to lx521, it is better to go for the 4x10hd. Otherwise just stick to lxmini and 2x4 enough already. Bass is sufficient for me with lxmini. If need more bass just buy a rythmik or something to supplement.

Actually SL's LXmini+2 requires the 4x10HD minidsp as the config will unlikely be ported to the 2x4 models. It also paves the way for LXstudio down the road if one chose to. The plans for the +2 include the studio build and access to the plugin config too. Both are open baffle sub units.

I have heard the old 'Davey' subs and that combo is very good...I'm sure SL's +2 will be a huge improvement.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally have the LXmini's running without the subs at this time (4 channels of amplification) with MiniDSP 2x4

Not the speakers final placement or even room, but got a bit of a workout when some guests came over the other night.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Wiz,

Now that you have LXmini for a while, can you share with us your opinion on the difference between Pluto and LXmini?

I got a Pluto.. not sure if it is worth while to convert it to LX mini. ::)

Cheers!

CJ

Best to ask in the OPLUG forum - I seldom use the Mini's but had all the parts so I built them. They are better in the mids and highs and maybe a smoother transition to the bass.

Ideally you should go with the 4x10HD if you plan to try with subs or use the 2X4HD but there is an analogue option coming. Of course you need 4 amps all the same too.

I don't have mine setup...but you could probably audition at Steven's place but he doesn't have the Plutos to compare to any more.