I think there is something about aging that prompts me to start this thread. I am talking about none other than T S Lim, whom I affectionately call the Guru. My love affair with his great pieces started in around 2005, some 10 years ago when I ditched my Krells for a complete switch over to these humbler set ups. I first visited his home to check out the truth about how great his creations were from all the comments I read. When I went to his place in Bukit Merah, I was taken aback by the messiness of the place and he had the set up in one of the bed rooms, with every component parts strewn all over amidst stacks of vinyl and disc and dismantled Marantz 63 CD players. It was smack of garang guni (sorry T S, if you are reading pardon my offensive analogy). T S was the shy and unassuming guy despite his bulk.

Without much ado, he went straight into playing music and without even consulting what I prefer he just selected something out of his stacks of CD and pressed play. It was the beginning of the transformation into what I previously didn't think possible, well at least not for that price. Suddenly the mess in front became irrelevant to the music that transpires. I was estimating I would just stay for an hour's audition at most but it turned out to be more than 2 and with me leaving reluctantly because here you have a guru who is so passionate about his wares and music, I think he can go on and on....Music is in his blood. He is first rate musician (just to refresh, he is a formidable harmonica player and part of the Mahler society in Singapore) and a first rate hi-fi engineer.

While on a posting in Shanghai I even took the trouble to ship the equipment over but sadly they were damaged enroute. I had him come over to fix them and happily the music that came out of it help bring away some of the blues especially during the wintry Shanghai. And when back in Singapore, I managed to catch up with him again and by now he had already a much improved system and so I bought them. He even introduced to me a pair of hand assembled book shelf speakers, using SEA driver which were mooted by his China Hi Fi Forum counterparts together with him. The vanilla enclosure was just the usual wood panels but when I asked if it can be painted white, he took the trouble to have them spray painted in China, after a 2nd attempt. Used in combination, the sound that comes out of it I can safely say is up there with the best, safe the bass; I added a subwoofer despite his advice against but it turned out to be a perfect match as by his own admission, T S builds his wares with not much attention to the bass. Everything gels so well; voices were crisp and clear, piano sounded well as a piano should, and all instruments separation were distinct yet harmoniously cohesive and the final tapering off of any bass or timbre notes so live. It is no longer a chase for the ultimate play back machines but pure settling down to play and replay or revisit the stacks of discs I have. And all this for less than $10k and if you think about it, even a system worth more than $30k may not hold its candle against this set up; I should know as I have been there and done that.

One sad thing is that while chatting with him (actually more like being educated by him of the various genres and various interpretations of some great classical pieces and who the great jazz singers or Chinese legends of yesteryears), I popped the question of succession and he told me his children were not keen to pick up his skills and it appears there is no apprentice for whom he could impart to. It is indeed a loss to the hi-fi fraternity and on a broader picture a loss to Singapore. This hidden gem gets scan recognition and what's worse, in time to come, this special skill of his in creating a piece of magic at so accessible a price will be lost forever. I truly hope this thread would resurrect our interest in the great works he has done and perhaps we can all think of how he can be supported further and not let his skill goes into oblivion.

T S still leads a humble life and continues in his own fiercely passionate way to bringing good sound and music to the masses. 3 cheers to him.

I heard his amps back in the day

He do good sh*t

He is like me

unrecognized

but less unrecognized

than "me and my kind"™

at least he sold and made bucks doing his calling

true genius was never compensated

but maybe we can all go into the mysteries of audio

the magickal land of the diode lords

ah

The first amp I got from him was in 2001, it was a early design of Bluesky, with overhang gold face plate with black body. The preamp then was Classic 1H. I was really hooked to Diva and til today, I have owned 3 different versions; Bluesky, Bluesky Sig and now TianZhu. I also owned 4 different preamp; 1H, Classic 300, 400 and now M7.

Past 15 years, many top notch gears had come and go in my rack, but Diva still occupies a special space there.  I am fortunate to own something and know the designer personally. This is something I can't do with other brands. He's man of great passion in this hobby, this passion cascaded down to his gears which I am hooked to its sound til today.

I am still considered young to the rest of the people in this humble community, especially people who have followed TS Lim over the years. I have came to know TS Lim via a friend who is a fan of his works... and have also heard it his amps.

I for one, personally have not heard TS Lim's preamps or amps.

But based on story sharing from my much older friends, I have already fell in love with TS Lim's area of art and expertise of creating wonderful sound, and his passion.

Given the chance, I would be honored to hear TS Lim's creations, and best, to meet him in person.

Serious question, do TS Lim still make preamps and amps from scratch?

He still does. You can visit him at Bukit Merah. He got a setup there with a DIY horn speaker. Personally, the setup is not really suitable for my taste, as much as I like his gears.

I am still considered young to the rest of the people in this humble community, especially people who have followed TS Lim over the years. I have came to know TS Lim via a friend who is a fan of his works... and have also heard it his amps.

I for one, personally have not heard TS Lim's preamps or amps.

But based on story sharing from my much older friends, I have already fell in love with TS Lim's area of art and expertise of creating wonderful sound, and his passion.

Given the chance, I would be honored to hear TS Lim's creations, and best, to meet him in person.

Serious question, do TS Lim still make preamps and amps from scratch?

He was formerly from RSAF next to my squadron if I am not wrong.

I think if you are telling all those hifi shops that you don't need to pay a lot to have a good sound and as from above, somebody mentioned that a less than 10K system can win a 30K system, I think all those dealers will not agree to it.

I think he is more of a vocal guy so his system might not suit to everyone taste.

The last time I met him mid last year, he was completing a new preamp based on Jadis JP200 for a customer. It's about $5K if I am not wrong. His speaker is lesser known.

It was sold thru Soul of Music in the 90s. Then Sky Audio late 2000, but now he's selling it directly.

And it always caught my attention in the buy/sell section whenever a Diva shows up.

he makes only electronics? or speakers as well? How much would a top models full TS Lim system cost? He sells directly or through any shop? Would love to have the opportunity to listen to his top system.

The last time I met him mid last year, he was completing a new preamp based on Jadis JP200 for a customer. It's about $5K if I am not wrong. His speaker is lesser known.

It was sold thru Soul of Music in the 90s. Then Sky Audio late 2000, but now he's selling it directly.

And it always caught my attention in the buy/sell section whenever a Diva shows up.

Glad I commissioned a TS Lim Signature Edition JP200 Preamp from him, his latest incarnation after the M7 Pre. Sounds great and at a fraction of the Jadis JP200 and much better than his M7. Really value for money especially if you are into tube gear.

Long time ago, I plucked up the courage to call him up to modify my Philips LHH600 player.  Even being unfamiliar with it, he gamely gave it a go.  Needless to say, that player was lifted into another level.

He is always polite and humble, never pushy, a true gentleman.  Something very rare nowadays in this business

I've heard his gear in Soul of Music shop on one of his paper cone speakers in the early 2000. Not bad except I find his soldering and components layout really very messy compared to Jadis point to point soldering. I wonder where did the specky Soul of Music guy go.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Soul of Music's Richard Seah has always been promoting macrobiotic diet for health, and is now a photographer. See his Facebook link below.

https://www.facebook.com/rsphotoartist/

Brother Blue ,Seah has pass on.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=c2c55efde84530f11fd48ecea4f28bca&topic=251896.msg1206364#msg1206364

Hi guys... I know it's already 2yrs since the last post, just wanna know if this guru TS Lim still at bukit batok? Thx!

Tot he stay at Bukit Merah, anyway think  he is very busy , last time call him to help mod the keith monk tonearm  to my technic deck he was unable to help

In the end installed the origin live silver , no regrets also

To date still keep the maranze cd 63 fully mod by him including the latest filter mod and the diva M7, I always found TS Lim equipment and mod always result in very musical sound.

is the cd 63 lens still available, anyone interested in the keithmonk mercury tonearm can drop me a mail as it lie in my store for years liao ;D

Thx for all the info guys.

I had met him many yrs ago, bought a coaxial cable & a gear (for cd player tray) from him. Nice to hear that he's still around. Hopefully he still had his diva system at home, so probably if free can drop by for a listening experience.

Cheers!

If I remember correctly he was one of the first in SIngapore to convert LP to Cd and it was called LPCD

He had some tunes from Japanese music suach as Saxaphone, Harmonica and some songs by in Mandarin by  Tsui Ping.

I think he also converted Flamenco .

The Cd dynamics was very good. I heard it at the Audio Show can't recall which one.

The LPCD was demonstrated at Sky showroom at the show and many were impressed. Several were given a copy of the Cds. I was also fortunate to be given one og the Lpcd by Steve of Sky Audio.

Just wonder if he repairs Tube Preamplifier .