Help me identify source of interference (RFI?)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should meter out the grounds on the TT and especially the tone arm and cart areas as it could be a bad ground connection also.

I have external preamps too and don't seem to suffer so much anymore since changing things around with different leads etc...but occasionally I get it thru all sources very faintly...oddly my wife hears it but not me...I thing she gave up complaining...or its gone maybe

I have exactly the same issue and am staying in Jurong West area. It can be quite irritating and it robs off the pleasure of listening.

I have 3 TTs connected to the system but only one TT has this problem. After some trouble shootings lasting few weeks, another TT was affected. So I unplugged all the cables (inter connect and power cables) and connect them so that the ICs do not criss cross with the PCs. After so much time and effort, one of the phono amp (sonic frontier) stopped working. So now I give up for the time being and only listen to my DIY TT. 

Hi Ptjw. You have gone so far, so one more check won't be a stretch. This link below has very interesting expert discussion about noise from neon indicator lamps.

In the 80's I messed up my Thorens TD165 introducing "eeeee" noise when I added a neon indicator bulb to show power on. Had to remove it immediately, just laugh at what silly thing I did.

Just a wild guess.. may be a good next step to look nearby neons and inside your TT to examine any neon bulbs, aged led drivers, aged led indicators, re-wet possible dry solder joints, the likes. Wish you well.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/neon-bulb-noise/

And of course, phono amp build by me is guranteed to be free from any of these symptoms

thanks, but I'm quite sure after extensive tests that the phono amp is not the cause of this.. by the process of elimination I'm very sure it is from the turntable..

I have exactly the same issue and am staying in Jurong West area. It can be quite irritating and it robs off the pleasure of listening.

it seems this problem is more common than I thought.. something powerful being transmitted.. or something common that some estates are transmitting..

i do have the same problem when playing tunrtalbe , me at Yishun.

what i noticed that it happen after upgraded a new life outside my block , nothing change to my hifi system.

during the troubleshooting what i find out i cant use MM cartridge it can pickup the interference but MC cartridge all OK(with the same system)

so i suspect it came from the new upgraded life EMI.

I never managed to solve my issue with the EeeeeeEEEEEEeeeee sound too.

Mine started after they upgraded lifts, my unit is next to lift.

I couldn't be sure so try various swaps and replacement to see if i could eliminate that sound, obviously not.

I never managed to solve my issue with the EeeeeeEEEEEEeeeee sound too.

Mine started after they upgraded lifts, my unit is next to lift.

I'm beginning to see a trend here.. a few users also mentioned the noise started after lift upgrading.. my main door is only maybe 5 meters from the two lifts in my block.. uh oh..  ;D

for everyone else that suffers from this problem, are you staying in a hdb with a lift outside/nearby?

Just a wild guess.. may be a good next step to look nearby neons and inside your TT to examine any neon bulbs, aged led drivers, aged led indicators, re-wet possible dry solder joints, the likes. Wish you well.

Jurong West resident checking in but tats beside the point I think. I used to get this eeee sound too. Mine was due to the dirty rca inputs on my phono amp. After my guru cleaned them with Deoxit Gold, it's total silence now!

i vaguely recall reading on one of the many number of forums someone saying that oxidized contacts might act as a antenna/demodulator for RF signals, he was actually receiving actual FM radio (music + voices) instead of the high pitched whine we all hear and after cleaning the contacts it was better.. i did consider that as one of the possibilities but after a visual inspection my RCA plugs are clean.. might even be a dry solder on the circuit board so i could retouch all the joints to make sure (a lot of work though)  :P

my turntable location in my previous house was far away from the lift, and absolutely silent..

I'm beginning to see a trend here.. a few users also mentioned the noise started after lift upgrading.. my main door is only maybe 5 meters from the two lifts in my block.. uh oh..  ;D

for everyone else that suffers from this problem, are you staying in a hdb with a lift outside/nearby?

I'm staying in a point block so it's very close to the lift. Come to think of it, it was after the lift upgrading program.

I bought the plixir conditioner a few months ago and the 'eeeee' sound is gone so all good.

• 3 months later...

just some updates after many months of trying (and giving up just like everyone else who encountered this  ;)) :

wrapping the internal wiring of the turntable with aluminium foil definitely did reduce the volume of the interference, but it is definitely still there and audible when listening carefully...

something new that made me realize it is DEFINITELY interference from outside and not a problem with the turntable itself is that just a few days ago I was alone at home preparing my dinner in the kitchen and it was completely silent and I heard it.. the same eeee...EEEEEEE...eeeee sound that I've heard from my turntable so many times.. this time it was coming from the back of the microwave!!! I couldn't believe it and I put my ear to the microwave which was plugged into the power but not running and the same interference sound was definitely coming from it.

I turned off the power to the microwave and the interference sound went away.. I powered up my amplifier which was in the living room just 5m away from my kitchen and the sound was still there.. so the source is not the microwave but it is being picked up by both my microwave and turntable. Perhaps the EMI/RFI is picked up by the circuits in both of them.. what components are common in both microwaves and turntables? Transformers are one.. and magnets.. hmmm..

My microwave is even nearer to the lift which is just outside my main door.. I have to say after all the feedback here in this thread that I strongly believe the lift to be the cause of this interference.. my lift in my estate is made by IFE which is a Chinese company.. I had half a mind to drop them an email describing my problem but ultimately I didn't as I don't think anyone would lift a finger to fix something reported by one guy on his audio equipment  ::)

After reading a few reports regarding issues with malfunctioning lifts in the papers recently.. I wonder if they're made by IFE as well.. who knows maybe HDB would do something drastic and change all the lifts in HDBs to another brand like Hitachi and Fujitsu and maybe.. just maybe.. this problem would go away..

For those reporting the same sounds and issues as me, perhaps you can do a check on the brand of your lift and post it here to see if we have that in common.. also maybe those who live near to lifts in a HDB and don't have this problem can also do the same?  :)

Yes my area after HDB upgraded all the life made by IFE.

I do have other finding like cassette walkman and CD discman running with battery also can pickup the same interference like my turntable eee...EEEEEEEE....eeeeee...EEE....

above all happen after a new life upgrraded outside my blk.

Just chanced upon this thread. Though I do not have a TT. I do get this similar high pitch buzzing noise when I just shifted in to new BTO last June.

However this only affects one of my PC speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3) after I shifted to the new place.. It was perfectly fine before. Thus I thought I might have damage it while shifting.. I did not give up so I tried changing the caps using some guide thru Lowyat forum but it was useless as the buzzing remains (worse actually.. the buzz seems to be louder after the caps replacement)..

I was very disappointed as the caps actually cost more than the speakers itself.

Almost threw it away, but then I decided to bring it to office. To my surprise, it is working perfectly again. And best of all it actually sounded better..

And until now, I have no explanation why this occurs. And it only affect one set of speakers.

And by the way, the HDB lifts are also IFE...

Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk

Guest francishuang

Have tried using regen and sound affairs iso tran conditioner. Does help a bit, but the eeee is still there

Tried once with full sys including power amp to iso tran conditioner. Does lower the eee sound quite abit. But it is still there

Cant have my amp to any regen or conditioners too. Totally kill the dynamics.

The eeee sound is a problem that i learned to live with

Wah Bro, If regeneration type AC still have the eee sound. Damm tough problem, I can only guess that the pollution is comming thru the earth pin.. Is it possible to float the earth ie earth not connected to wall socket. See if the eee sound goes away.