Cocktail Audio owners or potential owners thread

starting this to see who is using these devices especially the x30 and x40 models.

Also to see if there is much interest in any MO perhaps.

Seems like the x40 while expensive has some extra features like phono input, gigabit LAN and better output options.

Any users of the x40 here?

I'm particularly interested to know the disk and directory format used to determine if transfer of data to a has is workable.

Is there an iR remote?

Is there a web interface?

Can you record or rip to USB connected drives?

Anyone tried 6TB drives?

Is the an online manual download in PDF and English?

Can it be used without a HDD just for streaming from a nas?

starting this to see who is using these devices especially the x30 and x40 models.

Also to see if there is much interest in any MO perhaps.

Seems like the x40 while expensive has some extra features like phono input, gigabit LAN and better output options.

Any users of the x40 here?

I'm particularly interested to know the disk and directory format used to determine if transfer of data to a has is workable.

Is there an iR remote? > Yes

Is there a web interface? > No

Can you record or rip to USB connected drives? > there is opt in the setup

Anyone tried 6TB drives? > No go for now

Is the an online manual download in PDF and English?

Can it be used without a HDD just for streaming from a nas? > No

Actually, was also looking into X40.  Seem to have everything (XLR/RCA analog and all sorts of digital output).

Network, CD & HDD/SSD players - but don't think they have a dedicated smart phone control app, but uses 3rd party one.

Don't seem to have lots of review around.

Actually saw the physical unit at MusicLink once - selling at 2.4K

You will be better off getting the popular Lumin D1 which is about 2.2k and you can plug it direct to your Synology for gapless playback.  Cocktail is just a mid fi system.

I have USB DACs for direct connection. Might end up with a Jriver ID NUC - trying to not have to run long USB runs from my NAS, or might just get MacMini at both locations and use river on that.

lots of options I know.

I'm OK with midfi for non critical listening...but the 2.5K for the X40 is pretty pricey for what it is.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest planet2012

Sorry to bring the old thread. Anyone bought the latest X40Pro?  I am looking for  music server with CD ripping. Is Cocktail is good for what I am looking for and who’s is the local agent and what’s the price?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest planet2012

Hi. Found the local dealer . Thinking of getting X45 to build my musics server/ Streamer and ripping my old CD. Any users can share your experience? 

Honest opinion:
They have changed distributorship a couple of times the recent years, their product range is a bit of a hit and miss

their earlier products were very cost effective which presented a great value, their later ones in principle idea is good but cost effective? not really - and QC was an issue - i accompanied a friend test a few and both their software and hardware seems unpolished. 

If you do purchase them make sure you have warranty and local coverage and do test out the units before you do so.

Test the hardware and also see if you can live with the software / app that they have. 

Guest planet2012
4 minutes ago, drzero said:

Honest opinion:
They have changed distributorship a couple of times the recent years, their product range is a bit of a hit and miss

their earlier products were very cost effective which presented a great value, their later ones in principle idea is good but cost effective? not really - and QC was an issue - i accompanied a friend test a few and both their software and hardware seems unpolished. 

If you do purchase them make sure you have warranty and local coverage and do test out the units before you do so.

Test the hardware and also see if you can live with the software / app that they have. 

Hi. May I know what is your friend hardware issued? My friend old lower model X10 still in good working condition and never heard any problem for the player. 

4 hours ago, planet1624706127 said:

Hi. May I know what is your friend hardware issued? My friend old lower model X10 still in good working condition and never heard any problem for the player. 

overall stability, unit hang etc

also the app to control is just.... quite bad - do try it out to see if you can live with it

the old X10 was actually pretty decent for its time (it was relatively affordable and feature packed especially during its time - this was like 6 - 7  years ago iirc)

Guest planet2012

Hi.  Can advise what is your friend Cocktail model? Is the newest model caused the hard/Software issued?  I like Aurender A30 , but 25k is over my budget.  Thanks.