Michell Gyrodec Owners & Discussion Thread

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

My QC AC power supply kaput. I checked the output voltage, one side output more than 30v instead of recommended 19-19.5v. The AC motor is still good.

Anyone know a suitable modern replacement?

I’m reluctant to replace with DC motor + HR supply since that would cost close to $2k.

Thanks in advance for advice/help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

My QC AC power supply kaput. I checked the output voltage, one side output more than 30v instead of recommended 19-19.5v. The AC motor is still good.

Anyone know a suitable modern replacement?

I’m reluctant to replace with DC motor + HR supply since that would cost close to $2k.

Thanks in advance for advice/help.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/J-A-MICHELL-DC-MOTOR-UPGRADE-KIT-FOR-GYRODEC-/331727927783?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Thanks but wonder if any reasonably prized AC PSU out there. Even if DIY kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can try this manufactuer for Indonesia...

http://sap.or.id/Power15n.html

Prices should be quite reasonable ... This TT AC Power Supply is the regenerated type.... sort of like the Linn Lingo Power Supply.. You probably need to inform the boss... Setiawan.... the voltage required by your TT motor.. All the best. 

You can try this manufactuer for Indonesia...

http://sap.or.id/Power15n.html

Prices should be quite reasonable ... This TT AC Power Supply is the regenerated type.... sort of like the Linn Lingo Power Supply.. You probably need to inform the boss... Setiawan.... the voltage required by your TT motor.. All the best.

Thank you very much. Let me check.

• 3 months later...

• 1 year later...

So, every once in a while I will get the urge to tweak my Gyrodec.

Recently I felt the itch again.

So after some reading, I decided to upgrade the suspension springs, as well as add some lubricant to the bearing oil and Papst AC motor.

Although I love my Gyrodec, I've always had less love for the suspension springs - they're fiddly to adjust at best and I can never the the bounce perfectly right.

There are several upgrade options out there - I know of at least three.

Two of them replaces the springs with O-rings, but I opted for this option by a company called Solidair, which replaces the springs with ebony spacers that effectively hang the subchassis on waxed thread!

No particular reason why I chose them except I am more familiar with the use of ebony in musical instruments, and I have my doubts about the long term reliability of O-rings.

So the Solidair pylons arrived yesterday, and I quickly fitted them, and it was a simple 10 minute affair - there's no more bounce. Just have to level the table, position the motor housing such that it it not in contact with the subchassis, and it's good to go!

Then I also added 2 drops of ZX1 oil to the bearing assembly and 1 drop to the AC motor, then replaced everything back.

How does it sound?

Everything's still there - the detail, soundstaging, PRaT, etc, but everything just flows more naturally, more 'cheng', more musical!

Sharing some photos here...hope they work this time!

PA130780.jpeg

PA130777.jpeg

PA130753.jpeg

PA130759.jpeg

• Love 1

• Administrator
9 hours ago, dong said:

What happened to all the photos in this thread??

I believe there was a problem with the images in this thread even before the software migration. They seem be loading from an external source that is no longer working.