4k Blu Ray Player Discussion Thread

Do all the HDR optimizer and adjustment features of the 820 apply/available when you stream Netflix/Amazon in 4K?

I am currently using Apple TV 4K to stream with my Epson EH-TW7000. Even though the Epson has HDR adjustment, the range is rather limited and the overall 4K HDR streaming experience is underwhelming...

Is it worthwhile to spent that extra $ to get better 4K HDR pictures from streaming platform with entry level HDR 4K projector like Epson 7000?

820 is now available from Amazon UK for S$500 plus.

Greatly appreciate advise and opinions from fellow Bros here.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I also wish to know too. I might bring my ub9000 into my HT room to try.

So the UK & Singapore version of the UB9000 is different from the Japanese version?

Those AK4493/97 DACs in the UB9000 are superb. They are highly accurate, but have a warm tonal signature and I just love the sound. However, you don't need to buy a UB9000 to get it. The Topping E30 DAC has the AK4493 and costs just S$150 on Shopee.

The DAC in the UB820 isn't that good. All the Panny UHD players function as DLNA/UPNP nodes. Hence they are directly supported as end points by software that outputs UPNP such as Roon or Audirvana. I've been able to upsample in Audirvana and send it to my UB820.

Do you recall the pic I sent you from Munich?

The 9000 is a real beast man..

no doubt about that,pretty hefty to move around. almost close to a laserdisc player weight, even much heavier than the Philips BDP9700.

Philips need to make a Premium replacement to put them back to the Audio Arena man...

So the UK & Singapore version of the UB9000 is different from the Japanese version?

What we get to to buy from overseas, Europe/UK(MiCz) or Australia/USA(MiCn) are different from Japan specs.

SG Panasonic until today... no news...

Euro n Pound dropping against SGD in recent days. Keep a close monitor if u wanna get multi-region hacked Sony or Panasonic uhdbd players from UK, or unhacked premium UB9000 from Germany.

2 e-tailers i suggest that ships to SG are:

TPS- The Perfect Signal from UK, which carries all region hacked Sonys, and partial models of Panasonic. UB820/9000 only hacked for DVD.

Hidden Audio from Germany. Only unhacked UB9004, however in compensation, VAT removed for export.

Once the X-rates for Euro drops to 0.69eur to SGD$1, good to strike!

• 1 month later...

the hacked UB820EBK from TPS UK is only for DVDs (code free) excluding standard BRs (region free)? Is it safe to get hacked 4K UHD players? will it not be overwritten by firmware upgrades? I am planning to get this player from UK (unhacked/factory default) but I want a region A play back for my standard BR collections.

For Region A playback, i would suggest that u go for locally sold regular players. For warrantied sets, u're only limited to Sony makes, with region locked on either format. The X700 sold in local market are region locked at Region A/3 for BD and DVD.

However... if warranty is not an issue to u, u can consider the Philips BDP-2590 or Panasonic BDT-180/380 which is available in some stores, Panasonic only from Mustafa.

UK TPS UB820 is region locked only with FHDBD, DVD play still requires some step to access even though the player is region hacked.

Some bros here had got the region hacked firmware BOUGHT to install on either the UB820 or UB9000. So far there isn't anything negative heard from them yet.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, YANG said:

For Region A playback, i would suggest that u go for locally sold regular players. For warrantied sets, u're only limited to Sony makes, with region locked on either format. The X700 sold in local market are region locked at Region A/3 for BD and DVD.

However... if warranty is not an issue to u, u can consider the Philips BDP-2590 or Panasonic BDT-180/380 which is available in some stores, Panasonic only from Mustafa.

UK TPS UB820 is region locked only with FHDBD, DVD play still requires some step to access even though the player is region hacked.

Some bros here had got the region hacked firmware BOUGHT to install on either the UB820 or UB9000. So far there isn't anything negative heard from them yet.

avoiding x700 due to reported freezing issues i’ve read from other forums. what is the current price of Pioneer UDP-LX500  here in SG? saw one at lazada for 1.8k, any other local store selling it cheaper?  thanks

Locally sold PIONEER LX500 are region locked at 3/A on DVD/BR playback, same like SONY.

Price seems to hv been appreciated up by $100 as the stock lvl in the market is low.

TPS UK now offers the UB820 and the Premium UB9000 with full region hacked sets.

SGD$800 for UB820(GBP449/GBP0.56**)

https://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=Panasonic&tab_id=52&choice_name=Blu-ray_Players&choice_id=143&product_group_id=224&product_name=Panasonic_DP-UB820_MULTIREGION_4K_Ultra_HD_Blu-ray_Player_-_DP-UB820EBK&product_id=5617&choice_type=1

DVD Region hacked only sets available @ GBP349

SGD$1800 for UB9000(GBP999/GBP0.56**)

https://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=Panasonic&tab_id=52&choice_name=Blu-ray_Players&choice_id=143&product_group_id=224&product_name=Panasonic_DP-UB9000_MULTIREGION_4K_Ultra_HD_Blu-ray_Player_-_DP-UB9000EBK&product_id=5618&choice_type=1

DVD Region hacked sets available @GBP849

Both base on the latest X-rates today, GBP$0.56 = SGD$1.00

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, YANG said:

Too expensive,not worth it,better get from TB,I think 500 plus only.

In direct comparison to what TPSUK offers, ANSON price is roughly $70 more ex. But with consideration of a "warranty" they offer, that $70 means something to buyers.

Certainly and undeniably, TaoBao price is more tempting...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Need some help though it might be off topic.

Do you guys still see any universal player in the market with multi region playback for DVD and can support SACD below $500, the BD playback option is not important, ?

My current Pioneer DV-610 is dying soon after years of service.. I am using it for DVD and CD\SACD playback...

For my normal BD & 4K BD, I am using the Sony x700 but I don’t like its audio playback capabilities of CD\SACD.

Thank you

Hey Cash,

Thanks for the link...

I saw an Oppo BDT-101CI on sales too...

did some read up on other forums...  seem like it is a stripped down version of the 1xx series.. without streaming capability but another forum said there are issues with SACD playback due to the HDMI connection...

Appreciate some comments of the 101CI if any brother had used /owned the unit before.

16 hours ago, cracker said:

Hey Cash,

Thanks for the link...

I saw an Oppo BDT-101CI on sales too...

did some read up on other forums...  seem like it is a stripped down version of the 1xx series.. without streaming capability but another forum said there are issues with SACD playback due to the HDMI connection...

Appreciate some comments of the 101CI if any brother had used /owned the unit before.

I had one before

no issues

its a very reliable albeit simple player

bear in mind these second hand examples will be quite old.. check the drive and see if they are really better than your current Sony 

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2015/12/oppo-bdt-101ci-review.html?m=1

The new X800MK 2 may be within your budget. 

27 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I had one before

no issues

its a very reliable albeit simple player

bear in mind these second hand examples will be quite old.. check the drive and see if they are really better than your current Sony 

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2015/12/oppo-bdt-101ci-review.html?m=1

The new X800MK 2 may be within your budget. 

Hmmm I don’t really like the the audio sound from CD/SACD playback on my X700..

Not sure how much will the X800 be better. I knew only those oversea units are mod to region free for DVD & BD playback.

I just want a decent machine which can multi region DVD, decent audio output for CD & SACD playback and not exceeding $500.   I did see some newer pioneer set on sales... but i believe they are region locked too...

Just saw someone posted a Marantz UD5005 too..

there are couple of Oppo 103.. and the 101CI

Most are between 3 to 5 yrs old unit.

12 hours ago, YANG said:

Not exceeding $500... Hmmm... that's going to be very hard.

that is why i am looking at resale units.

iirc i saw a pioneer bdp 180 or 160 in best denki going for about $4xx to just over $500.

it is an universal player but i am not sure if the dvd is region locked.

Preowned @ $4++?

that's kinda rip off... local stock BDP180 was last sold in Mustafa @ under $300. in addition, some of this model in the market are parallel imports. so... it's kinda risky to pay that price for no warranty stuff...

BDP180 although is wider on device width, it doesn't mean that it's heavier than X700 on weight that may have some suppressing effect on vibration, that ends with better sound output. Sony’s X1100 is heavy but commands higher price... hmm...

tough choices... to go or not to go.

25 minutes ago, YANG said:

Preowned @ $4++?

that's kinda rip off... local stock BDP180 was last sold in Mustafa @ under $300. in addition, some of this model in the market are parallel imports. so... it's kinda risky to pay that price for no warranty stuff...

BDP180 although is wider on device width, it doesn't mean that it's heavier than X700 on weight that may have some suppressing effect on vibration, that ends with better sound output. Sony’s X1100 is heavy but commands higher price... hmm...

tough choices... to go or not to go.

No..

I was talking about brand new units of Pioneer BDP180 saw at Best Denki many months ago,

Maybe I should go to Mustafa and Audio House to take a look......