4k Blu Ray Player Discussion Thread

Pity that UK set doesn't removes VAT upon export, and GBP raised against SGD...

https://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_name=Panasonic&tab_id=52&choice_name=Blu-ray_Players&choice_id=143&product_group_id=224&product_name=Panasonic_DP-UB9000_4K_Ultra_HD_Blu-ray_Player_MULTIREGION_for_DVD_-_DP-UB9000&product_id=4402&choice_type=1

Now with shipping to SG, base on current X-rate of 0.664eu to SGD$1, UB9004 is now @ $1216!!!

German E-tailer Hidden-Audio removes VAT upon export. However, now SGD drops against EURO...

https://hidden-audio.de/en/cddvdbluray.player/bluray.player/1179/panasonic-dp-ub9004-uhd-blu-ray-player-4k-hdr

...with shipping, it's going to hit 1.6K as well. Sigh... Between Nov till CNY period, the X-rates was sweetest then...

Current Price of PANASONIC premium player UB9000 in Australia, from lowest to most pricey...

Video Pro @ AUD$1445

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-12100-panasonic-dpub9000gnk-uhd-blu-ray-player.aspx

WestCoast Hifi @ AUD$1495

https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/product/panasonic-dp-ub9000-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/

Melbourne HiFi @ AUD$1545

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/panasonic/products/panasonic-dp-ub9000-blu-ray-player

Apollo HiFi(Sydney) @ AUD$1549 with option to get DVD-region hacked @ additional $39

https://www.apollohifi.com.au/visual/blu-ray-players-recorders/panasonic-dp-ub9000.html

Australia most budget friendly, considering our currency still strong against them...

https://www.apollohifi.com.au/visual/blu-ray-players-recorders/panasonic-dp-ub9000.html

...but we're barred from entering the country...

Hi Everyone

My Oppo 103 has served me well but as I just got a 4K TV, I'm looking for a 4K Blu-ray player to go with it. Sadly, Oppo is out of the game and stocks of 203 or 205 have long gone. Which players should be in my shortlist if I wish to have as many of the functionalities of the 103 as possible - decent video and audio performance, CD playback capability, multi-region Blu-ray (HD) capability, playback of multiple media formats (including MKV) etc.

I followed the Panasonic UB820 thread with interest but note that the ones from Amazon UK are locked to Region B for Blu-rays, whereas my entire Blu-ray collection (bar a few) are Region A discs.

Cheers

Alvin

Hi Alvin,

Was checking out the posts here, and I have a similar situation as you now. I have a Sony BDP S790 now that is locked to Region A discs. I want to look at a 4K Bluray disc player that can also play multi-region Bluray discs. Have you found yours yet?

Hi Alvin,

Was checking out the posts here, and I have a similar situation as you now. I have a Sony BDP S790 now that is locked to Region A discs. I want to look at a 4K Bluray disc player that can also play multi-region Bluray discs. Have you found yours yet?

Sadly, no. I'm still without a 4K Bluray disc player for now. I am leaning towards just getting the Panasonic UB820 from Amazon UK and using it just for 4K discs. It just means my I can't retire my Oppo 103 to my bedroom.

Bro,

I believed Anson Audio do sell Pioneer 4k blu ray player, multi region too. Expensive but you may contact them for more informations.

Multi-Region on DVD or BD? It's a big difference there.

Sadly, no. I'm still without a 4K Bluray disc player for now. I am leaning towards just getting the Panasonic UB820 from Amazon UK and using it just for 4K discs. It just means my I can't retire my Oppo 103 to my bedroom.

Dedicated 4K player? Wouldn’t it be able to play regular Blu-ray Discs?

Dedicated 4K player? Wouldn’t it be able to play regular Blu-ray Discs?

Yes, but only Region B Blu-ray discs as the unit from Amazon UK is region locked. However, almost all of my Blu-ray discs are Region A.

A couple of simple ways of achieving region free playback

- limit your choices to region A discs, which is no real hardship

- get a simple region B player to supplement your main region A player. You may find it cheaper than a modded region free player.

get a simple region B player to supplement your main region A player. You may find it cheaper than a modded region free player.

Yup, that's the approach I'm looking at when considering the Panasonic UB820.

Interesting. So we have to sign up as a contributor before getting access the to the firmware. What contributions do we make to the development of the firmware as a contributor?

Interesting. So we have to sign up as a contributor before getting access the to the firmware. What contributions do we make to the development of the firmware as a contributor?

$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other potential benefit of the UB820 JB is the option to choose Basic (350 nits) / High (500 nits) Luminance Projector HDR Display Types. This option is built in to the higher end UB9000 but not available in the default UB820 firmware.

Helpful if one is using a projector and does not want to spend money on the higher end audio features of the UB9000.

One other thing to consider in getting a 4K player is that the Sonys, even the relatively cheap and available X700, will upconvert all content to low latency DV if you set the player to "player-led" dolby vision with a HDFury device (see the thread on HDFury). This means that you can apply Dolby Vision tone mapping to SDR (Blu Ray) and HDR10 (non DV UHD) content and display all content (including native DV) on any non-DV HDR10 display. This is possibly quite important if you have a display that doesn't support Dolby Vision as the X700/HDFury gives the non-DV display Dolby Vision and for all sources even Blu Ray. Even if you have a DV display, this allows you to upconvert SDR and HDR10. Several of us have tried this LLDV conversion and have very good results, especially for projectors that have, so far, not been sold with Dolby Vision.

Although I have a UB820 and find it's HDR Optimizer very effective on my BenQ projector, if I were in the market today, I would probably get a Sony UHD player and the HDFury Vertex2 ($600). If you can wait a bit, a cheaper device called the HDFury Arcana is coming out in September that does the same thing for about $300. Non Sony UHD players (with the exception of the discontinued Oppo) will not be able to upconvert SDR and HDR10 to DV.

• 1 month later...

i am leaning towards getting a Sony 1100... not sure against the UB9000.

Bro, if you want the region free version, Amazon SG sells it. The main reason to get the UB 9000 is for it's stereo performance, but I think you have a much better CD / music based system so it might be better for you to get a basic player like the X1100 or X800 MKII and use the money saved towards a nice CD transport? Besides the Panasonic will be region B if you import from UK or Oz... cheers

...The main reason to get the UB 9000 is for it's stereo performance...

Audio DAC? Doesn't seems so when we look back at the previous posts, including another dedicated thread on UB820.

The key reason to get the UB9k, most of the bros here, seems to be lean towards the Video side of performance, especially with projection setup. Sony without doubt, SACD compatibility.

Audio DAC? Doesn't seems so when we look back at the previous posts, including another dedicated thread on UB820.

The key reason to get the UB9k, most of the bros here, seems to be lean towards the Video side of performance, especially with projection setup. Sony without doubt, SACD compatibility.

That's the point bro, the 820 is sufficient for videophiles.

The extra outlay is largely for the audio bits...

The Sony has a more basic AKM chip... decent but not in the same class...

Do all the HDR optimizer and adjustment features of the 820 apply/available when you stream Netflix/Amazon in 4K?

I am currently using Apple TV 4K to stream with my Epson EH-TW7000. Even though the Epson has HDR adjustment, the range is rather limited and the overall 4K HDR streaming experience is underwhelming...

Is it worthwhile to spent that extra $ to get better 4K HDR pictures from streaming platform with entry level HDR 4K projector like Epson 7000?

820 is now available from Amazon UK for S$500 plus.

Greatly appreciate advise and opinions from fellow Bros here.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk